(Un)Pleasure to Meet You

During this time, I recommend that you be like Zane and wear a mask! - Becky🧚🏻‍♀️ (ps stay safe and healthy!)

I heard a beep out in front of my house. I ran downstairs and out to Zane's car.
He was wearing a white dress shirt with black buttons, and a very business casual outfit. But still his mask.
"Zuzu?" I said quietly, putting an innocent smile on my face, "you're wearing your mask to meet my family?"
He pulled it off and sighed, "sorry, Nana. Didn't think anything of it," he placed it onto the dashboard then began driving.
I swayed my legs back and forth, staring out the window. I already know what questions they're going to ask, "when are you getting married?" and "when are you having kids?"
"Zane, I hope you're okay with this. I just, I want them to like you," I commented, looking over at him.
"I," he began with a sigh, "they'll just have to deal with me, even if they don't like me," he joked.
I smiled, "you're completely right, because even if they don't like you, I will still always love you."
His face turned a light pink. As we pulled up to a red light, he leaned over and kissed me on the lips.
As we pulled up to my parents' house I felt a sickening feeling in my stomach. I looked at the huge, quite boring house. It was no wonder I was boring.
"Alright, let's go in?" Zane asked, holding onto the car door handle.
I nodded, I stood up out of the car, the same time as Zane.
We walked up to the front door. We locked arms and I rung the doorbell.
"Coming!" I heard yelled from the inside, "Oh! Nana, dear, wonderful to see you!" My mother exclaimed.
"Hi, mom," I replied, giving her a hug, "this is Zane."
She looked him up and down, "nice to meet you, Zane," she said, giving him a handshake, "come in, you two, you can just go right to the dining room, dinner is almost ready."
We walked into the dining room, and sat down next to each other.
"Zane, nice to see you again," Monica commented walking into the room.
Zane smiled, "nice to see you, too."
I looked over at him and squeezed his hand.
Monica sat down across from me with her husband next to her.
"Dinner's ready!" My mother called, bringing over a quiche.
All of my siblings came into the room and sat down at the table. There was so much food, for all of the many people there.
"So, Nana's boyfriend, planning on getting married anytime soon?" My brother, Jack, asked.
Zane looked over at my brother, then around at everybody else staring at us, "well, uh," he stuttered, "probably not for another couple years."
"How about kids?" My youngest sister, Terese, asked.
I brushed my thumb against Zane's hand, "not for a long, long time," I suddenly pictured the two lines on the pregnancy test, "many years away."
"You know, Nana," my older sister spoke, "you're nearly thirty, running out of time."
"I think Nana's fine," Zane commented. I looked up at him, smiling.
"I got married when I was twenty-five, had three kids, and I'm fine," Monica intruded, "you're twenty-nine, unmarried with no children, not even close to being engaged, are you sure you're fine?" She snarled.
I huffed, "a couple weeks ago I thought I was pregnant, does that make it any better to you?!"
Everybody looked shocked. The rest of the dinner went practically silent.
After about an hour, Zane and I left, still very uncomfortable.
"Went well," he joked in the car ride home.
I sighed, "they're all so particular," I stared out the window, "I just, I want to get married to you, and have a family one day. But they act like I'm already too old-"
"Nana," Zane grabbed my hand, "we're both still young, there's plenty of time for us to get married and have a family, they're just... not the best examples of, I guess just, taking time."
"I love you, Zane."
"I love you, Nana."