Chapter 7

One year later

I ran down the hallway of the Jedi temple, my lightsabre slapping against my hip. I ran past a few other padawans who waved. I quickly waved back while continuing to make my way down the hall. My breathing became more and more hurried as I continued my journey down the halls of the jedi temple.  

"Padawan Vorn." Master Plo Koon  appeared before me as I turned another corner, stopping me by placing a hand out in front of him. "What have I told you about running in the halls?" I paused for a moment, trying to catch my breath while formulating an answer.

"Apologies master. I got carried away again with my morning meditation and..." He put a hand on my shoulder. 

"Are late again for your morning class with Master Yoda?" I sighed, looking down at the ground a little embarrassed. "Its alright padawan. There is no need to be embarrassed. I too get carried away with meditation sometimes. Just take a deep breath and be on your way." He laughed at me as I bowed my head and began to make my way down the hall again. "Oh and padawan." My master called, causing me to turn around. "Remember our class this evening. Do not be late." I bowed my head once again in his direction. 

"Yes master, of course." I then began to speed walk in the direction of Master Yoda's class.

It took me about four more turns down different hallways before I reached the classroom. Thankfully I wasn't as late as I had predicted.

 "Padawan Vorn, late you thought you were?" I bowed my head at Master Yoda before stepping into the room. 

"Yes master. I unfortunately got carried away again with my morning meditation." I began to help him set up the different holopads on the various mats for the incoming younglings. 

"Why unfortunate? Benefit did you not from your morning meditation?" I turned to look at him, now finished with the holopads. 

"Well, yes master I did." He walked over towards the front of the class, younglings had now started to trickle in. 

"Then unfortunate it was not, yes?" I smiled at him, also moving towards the front of the class. 

"Yes master."

******

After having finished my class with Master Yoda, gone through another sparring lesson with Master Plo Koon, and having participated in a flying lesson with my master. It was now time for me to catch up on my historical studies. Turns out the Jedi masters weren't kidding when they said I would have a lot of work to do. Throughout the last 3000 years, a lot has changed. 

When I wasn't practicing how to wield my lightsaber or how to channel the force, I could easily be found in the library. In the past year on Coruscant I had learned a great deal. While my master did not always approve, I would often stay up late at night immersed in my readings on the many things I had missed over the years. I was determined to prove to the Jedi masters that they had not made a mistake in allowing me to continue as a padawan learner.

I was currently working my way through the history of Mandalore, curious to know what had become of my people. Reading through the texts only seemed to upset me. My people could no longer walk through the green plains as I had during my childhood. Due to the many wars that had raged on Mandalore over the years, the people were forced to live in sheltered oxygen domes. They had also begun to adapt a more pacifist way of life, which was hard for me to believe. 

The old traditions of wearing armour and being warriors was something that my mother and father had taught me to treasure as a child. They had told me the significance of the Mandalorian armour that they wore, along with the importance of that special blade my grandfather had carried during his rule of the planet. I wondered what my grandfather would think now if he knew the fate of his legendary clan. The sound of someone struggling with a few curse words added here and there suddenly caught my attention. I sighed, looking up from my text to search my surroundings and find the source of the noise.