16 • compliments vs constructive criticism

*this one is longer than the chapters I usually write but please read it till the end*

I can't believe I forgot to write about this *cue facepalm*

For all the years I've used Wattpad, I have always wanted to talk about this, so I'm going to take the opportunity to and I don't care what you say cause people need to HEAR this, or rather read about it whatever.

(I know this tip book is slowly turning into a rant book but please bear with me because all the issues I write about here are important and it'll help you improve, one way or another.)

Here I go *takes a deep breath*

I know I've hinted about this in the previous chapter, but you should not only accept compliments on your book but also constructive criticism. Everyone should know this, but I've encountered some who don't and it's pretty annoying (honestly).

I mean let's face it, praise boosts our ego. And who doesn't want to feel like they're on top of the world just because they got thousands of reads and lots and lots of good positive comments?

I'm kidding. Lol no.

But first, let me enlighten you with the definition of the term 'constructive criticism'.

According to the site 'definitions.net', it is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one.

Gotta cite my sources in case my teachers read this :p

Let me explain, compliments are good for motivation and inspiration, but constructive criticism can help us improve further while at the same time being able to consider the perspective of our readers and applying it to our work.

Personally, I love readers who not only give their opinions on my book but also valid reasons on what made them think of that.

Here's an example (my whole being got triggered so much when I wrote this sksksksk)

Chapter 1:
We all have the worst days in our life.
Mine was when my family and I moved to Antartica because of my father's work. There were lots of tears and crying, because I didn't want to leave my friends and school behind.
I love my friends, and it was bad enough that my family and i were not going to return to the Netherlands.
"Are you serious?" my friend shouts in my ear. She was always so loud and energetic.
"Y-Yes." I sob while telling her about everything.
Me and CheeseSauce had known each other since we were babies, I know everything about her and vise versa. She was my bestie and it was hard to let her go. I felt like I was going to die of loneliness.
My mom barges inside the room. "We need to leave now, PinkyRibbon, it's already getting late."
"Bye, Cheesesause. I'll face time you as soon as I get there okay? I'll miss you so much. Tell my crush bye for me."
That was the worst moment in my life, ever.

-

Example(constructive criticism comment - GOOD):

Hi! I just finished reading and considering that this is your first book, I'm impressed that you already managed to come up with something worth writing about. I'm sure you did your best in writing this chapter and as a reader, I appreciate it. This is already a great start!

Here are a few suggestions that I've thought about and I hope you consider them: I think it's best if you separate the paragraphs from each other, that way it would be easier for us to read what you wrote about (your effort would be a waste otherwise), Also, you should instead choose to use only one tense-instead of switching from past to present and vice-versa (this will help make your writing consistent and your story pacing smoother). The punctuations are also missing, so make sure to double-check on that.