𝐈 -𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞

"SHANE WAKE THE FUCK UP"

I stormed up the stairs to our shared bedroom and tore open the curtains. He was still sleeping after working the graveyard shift but I had no sympathy left for him at this moment.

"Hmm, what...?" He mumbled out, raising his bare arms to cover his eyes "Close the damn curtains-"

"-Who is hell Charlotte and why did our son have to answer the phone to some strange lady asking for his daddy?" I was standing at the end of the bed with my arms firmly planted on my hips when Shane threw the blankets off himself and sat upon his knees to meet my height. To say I was angry would be an understatement.

"Who? Charlotte? Who?"

"Who, who? What are you, a fuckin owl?"

"Baby just-"

"Don't you dare call me baby. Who is she?" There was a prolonged silence as I watched him clutch at something to say. His muscular, sun-kissed chest was heaving, breathing in the hot Georgia heat and that gold number '22' chain rested on his skin.

"I can't lie to you ba- Pricilla, I'd messed around with her a few weeks ago-"

"-Messed around? Are you out of your fucking mind?"

"I know, I know I just, you were busy with work and I was always busy at the station and I got frustrated that I never saw you anymore."

"Shane, you full well know more people are getting sick than usual and no one knows what to do. I didn't realise you were that selfish!" His head dropped down in shame after he caught his bottom lip between his teeth.

"Did our five years mean nothing to you?" My voice trailed off, the sadness of the situation finally getting to me.

No response. Those five years struggled on his tongue and he could gather no words to save them.

"Well, that's it then - It's been nice knowing you, Deputy Walsh."

I grabbed a backpack, filled it with a few juice boxes and snacks, picked up nearly four-year-old Caleb Walsh from the living room floor and rested him on my hip.

I was in the process of buckling him into the car seat when Shane finally came charging out of the house half-dressed. He'd obviously got changed in a rush as he was still buckling the belt on his trousers storming up to us.

"Baby please don't go, we can work this out. Please...just give me a chance!"

"Shane, the world will end before I ever forgive you. Even then I don't think I would" I climbed into the driver side and rolled down the window, letting out the unbearable heat. He had followed me around and leant on the windowsill, looking at me with those dark and intense eyes I fell in love with all those years ago.

"Please...Don't go" his voice wavered, almost cracking in places

I stared straight ahead, pulled into the road and left my old home behind. I glanced up into the mirror and saw him squatted in the middle of our driveway, one hand on the ground and the other covering the heartbreak on his face.

Five years of my time and devotion was given to that man and it all meant nothing now.

I switched my gaze from Shane to Caleb who had not a single care in the world. He didn't fully understand and I'd explain what type of man his dad was and how he changed when we grew older but for now, I'd prefer If he kept his naïvety.

"It's just you and me now bud, what do you say we go visit our family at the farm?"

---

𝔼𝔻𝕀𝕋𝔼𝔻

---