X

"No! I don't want her in here. Get out" Maggie screamed when I rushed inside to help Beth. I'd been called from looking after Caleb to help her but Maggie was refusing after I'd ignored dad's wishes to leave the barn alone. Dad had gone awol after finding an old friend of his; whiskey.

Not bothering to argue I left the room, stood at the end of the hallway and looked out through the window. I could see Lori and Dale having an intense conversation but my attention was diverted by familiar presence planting their hands on my shoulders and resting their chin on my head.

"Sorry about being a hot-head earlier. I was just annoyed about the walkers and took it out on you"

"It's not that big a deal, Shane." He shifted his arms to wrap around me and noticed who I'd been staring down at outside.

"I need to talk to you about Lori actually, about something that happened before I got here."

"I already know, I'm not mad. I understand..."

"She doesn't want me to have any say in how they're raised."

"She obviously wants it to be Rick's. And from what I've heard she doesn't like how we're raising Caleb. That baby's not going to survive if they carry on like they are now." At that moment she looked up at us with a concerned look and walked off into the meadow. "I don't want that baby getting hurt as much as you"

"How's Caleb doing?"

"I think you should have a man to man talk with him. I've already given him my motherly love"

"I'll take him down to the river for a bit, catch a few frogs"

- - -

"Pricilla! Lori's gone. Daryl won't go and I can't find Shane so I came to you. It's almost dark and Carl hasn't seen her since lunch" Carol rushed out keen on not losing another member of the group. "She said she was worried that Rick wasn't back yet but I never thought she'd go out there alone."

"If Shane asks where I am, tell him to not to worry" I quickly grabbed a bag containing water and a few snacks, not knowing the condition of Lori or anyone else for that fact and headed out in my truck. It didn't take long to find her because the ugly car was overturned in the middle of the road. When I reached inside the wreckage to grab her attention she near enough screamed thinking I was another walker.

"Jeez, you look like shit" I giggled giving her a hand up off the floor.

"Honest as always" she laughed back brushing the dirt off her jeans. Not that it made any difference. "Rick send you to come get me?" If I said no she'd question where he was. She'd then try to get me to go into town but with her condition, it was best to get her back as soon as I could.

"Yeah he sent me"

"Why didn't he get me himself?"

"My daddy's in pretty bad shape, mentally, and those two seem to be pals recently so I volunteered to come myself " I climbed into the car with Lori and leant between the front seats producing the bag with water and food in.

"My god you are an angel," she said biting into a cereal bar and taking a swig from the water bottle. We drove in silence for a few minutes before she spoke after finishing her food.

"Pricilla I know we're not on the best of terms but I care for you and I was talking to Dale earlier and he told me that Shane confessed to sacrificing Otis...I want you to stay away from him. I know you've probably turned a blind eye because he's Caleb's father but if he's dangerous, Rick can protect you like he's protected me and Carl" 

Shane had taken the blame to cover for me.  I won't deny that I was beyond annoyed at that and thought he was stupid.

"I don't need protecting Lori"