𝐕𝐈

The following morning I stood by Shane's side as he churned out lies about Otis's sacrifice. It was wrong and immoral in every way to hide the fact I murdered him in cold blood but all I could do was stand there in silence as my accomplice painted Otis as a hero. Patricia needed to remember her husband as a good man- not the man who spent his last moments feeling betrayed.

With the remaining members of the group finally on the farm, I was able to turn my attention away from the funeral and towards accommodating them. My heart ached for Carol when I learnt her little girl, Sophia, had gone missing. So when Shane's leg was healed and Rick had enough time for his blood volume to return to normal, a more coordinated search party would be organised. 

In an attempt to show some southern hospitality, I took Caleb outside to properly introduce ourselves to everyone. He hauled a large wicker basket of fruit over to a scruffy looking man who was sat fiddling with his crossbow isolated from the others.

"Hi, sir! I'm Caleb and this is my mom." The man squinted up at us and let out a dull "Hi" in response. If it wasn't glaringly obvious he was one of the strong silent types already, this reply confirmed it.

"It's nice having y'all on the farm," I said while Caleb heaved the basket down on the floor, then handing an apple and two peaches to the man.

"Aw that's so cool- are they like eagle wings or something?" Caleb asked with childish curiosity when he noticed the back of his biker vest.

"They're angel wings."

"Does that mean you're an angel?" He said while struggling to haul the basket back up in his arms. I tried to help but he insisted he was strong enough to do it himself. A look of amusement flashed across the strangers face before he shook his head.

"Far from it little man. Your mom might be one though."

"My dad said that too, but she don't have any wings so she can't be one."

Not only did I not have any wings but I'd committed one of the biggest sins possible. Killing walkers was one thing - but killing the man who came to save me? I shook the thought from my head and tried to forget.

"Alright, scoot kiddo. Them peaches aren't gonna hand themselves out." I lightly pushed Caleb back towards camp. 

He waddled away with the fruit and used his Walsh charm to distract the women stuck doing laundry and various other chores. I was about to follow after him when I heard the redneck begin to speak.

"If you don't mind me asking, where is his dad?"

"He's over there trying to get the walker out the well." I nodded behind me.

"I don't see any of your folk besides Maggie."

"It's Shane. Knew him before this mess we just uh...separated." The man grunted in response.

"Explains why you went along with his lie. I thought you might've been intimidated by the man but you've got history."

"Excuse me?"

"Y'all said Otis covered your backs while you ran. You run back into the herd for his gun?"

 I scoffed but internally cringed at the knowledge he had seen through our facade this morning. He knew we didn't run back but he was pouring salt into the wound- hoping for a reaction.

"We did everything could to save that little boy and Otis paid the price. If you come up with any other stories, come tell me and I'll happily show you off the farm."

- - -

I was sitting outside on the swinging bench when my Dad came and sat next to me. As we watched Shane and Caleb throw a football back and forth, I turned and noticed he wasn't impressed with the idea of the boys having fun.