XXIII

I'd recovered just in time to witness destruction upon Sanctuary. Well, I hadn't completely recovered and probably should've rested for another week but staying home for so long was driving me crazy. The three colonies had agreed to launch the attach but I heavily advised against a complete slaughter. The innocent women and children working on the bread line in there could be re-moulded as respectful citizens.

Negan walked out onto the concrete stairs followed by his usual merry men in his usual air of arrogance.

"So I'm not exactly feeling a reason for us to try throwing lead at each other. I care about my people, I don't want to march them into the line of fire cause I wanna play my dick is bigger than yours" I rolled my eye's at his usual excessive rudeness. "Pricilla can confirm it is, but I'm not gonna let my people die over that shit like you're about to"

Shane and I were positioned next to an RV with our guns not yet raised. After another near-death experience, you could say we got a little closer than before. Where I couldn't speak on behalf of Rick, I could speak on behalf of my fiancee and confirm he was slightly more 'blessed' in that department.

Rick made an attempt to barter with Negan saying surrendering was an option for all his people but they obviously rejected the offer. After being branded as 'The Piss Patrol' we weren't the most threatening.

"You think you have the numbers, you don't." Negan jabbed

Gregory emerged from within the factory and stood proudly alongside Negan. From what I had heard he was a cocky, self-absorbed idiot with no spine. He shunned the people of Hilltop out into the world, offering no protection if they continued to fight.

"THE HILLTOP STANDS WITH MAGGIE!" Jesus chanted speaking for the people.

Gregory was soon pushed down the stairs and Negan started to prowl across the platform again. An explosion was heard and could be seen in the distance. Negan was now subtly annoyed but just appeared more amused.

One last chance was given to them before Rick started to count down from ten as a warning. However, you could tell they weren't going to surrender by the smirk being delivered by their leader. As soon as Rick reached seven, bullets were fired at the windows of the factory.

"Pricilla, NOW!" Rick shouted and I ran inside of the RV. I had to rev the engine with enough power for it to be able to roll into the gates unmanned and I volunteered, being small and trusted enough to climb out of the back window safely without getting shot. I did my job with no problem however escaping didn't go as clean.

"ARGH!" I screamed and Shane immediately ran and dragged me behind cover.

"Are you okay, baby?"

"Course I'm not! It's my leg again." I strained out as Shane forced himself down and behind the concrete barricade.

"I told you, you weren't ready-"

"Yeah, yeah you can say I told you so later."

Before we realised, we were stranded in the middle of the courtyard with no other gunmen. Shane twisted the gun to rest on his back as he picked me up off the floor, resting an arm beneath my knees and one around my back. A quick scan of the area pointed us towards the last running car.

As we approached, however, Gregory climbed into the driver's seat and drove off with no remorse. A herd of walkers were on the verge of surrounding us and Father Gabriel waved us over.

"I tried to help him but he left me behind" he panted as I was carried around in a rush.

"We can see that" Shane rushed out with his temper rising. He wasn't only pissed off that we'd been abandoned, he was actually scared for our lives. A few walkers were fine but a herd was uncontrollable with our current circumstances. Father Gabriel's gun jammed and we bolted as far away from the undead as we could. Shane had to barge away approaching arms as they clawed at us and temporary relief was upon us as Gabriel tore open the door to a portable cabin.

We rushed inside and slammed the door shut. The only sounds that were heard were muffled growls, the two men catching their breath and my hisses as I was lowered to the floor.

"I hope you've got your shittin' pants on" a voice rasped from within the dark of the cabin.

"What?" The priest questioned.

"Your shitting pants-"

"Shut the fuck up Negan." I snapped not currently in the mood to put up with his humour. He slightly emerged from the dark and stood in the light smirking.

"Watch the language around the kid" he teased and nodded behind him to Caleb perched on top of a desk. I was quickly dropped on the floor as Negan tackled Shane and Gabriel went to shoot Caleb who was also charging forward. I had no option but to wrap an arm around his leg and pull him down too. We were soon disarmed and after slight teasing, we let free to sit against the pounding walls.

"You're such an asshole" Shane muttered rubbing the back of his head which was hit when he was tackled.

"Yeah, I am" Negan laughed before it died out. "Pricilla?"

"Yes."

"A little birdie told me I killed your brother-in-law"

I looked up and saw Caleb cross his eyebrows in a frow. He was obviously the little bird then. "What about it?"

"I'm sorry"

"No, you're not."

"Yeah, he's not. Rick should be the one apologising. He got Uncle Glenn killed." Caleb interrupted in a harsh tone. He rubbed the back of his head before throwing his hand up in frustration. Just like his dad.

"Watch your mouth boy." Shane snapped. This whole time we hadn't noticed Father Gabriel mumbling to himself but when he finally raised his voice, we turned to look at him.

"That's why I'm here," he stated and we all raised an eyebrow. "Gregory left me here for a reason. I'm here to take your confessions and resolve your conflicts" We all let out a slight laugh at his epiphany but guiltily listened in.

A few pair of hands burst in through the wooden boarding near to where Negan was sat and he stood to walk to the other end of the cabin. Gabriel started to confess his sin about locking his congregation outside the church when it all started which in result lulled us into confessing ourselves.

"There's my confession. None of you responded with judgement and it will be the same when you confess" He spoke openly. Shane decided to start.

"It all went wrong when I cheated on Pricilla-"

"Why the fuck would you do that" Negan interrupted but Gabriel gave him a stern look telling him to stop.

"As I said, that's when it went wrong. I was so...selfish. I had a girlfriend, a kid and I threw it away. If I had just stopped myself then I wouldn't have been so hell-bent on protecting them when I got my second chance. I wouldn't have tried to kill Rick, failed, got stabbed and she wouldn't have had to leave our little boy behind and give up her freedom in return for my life. Every day was torture watching Negan treat Pricilla with the respect I should've from the start. The only thing I'm guilty of was loving her too much" He chucked his head back and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Negan continued next telling us a heartfelt story about his wife rather reluctantly but the topic of me came up pretty soon.

"Pricilla just reminded me of Lucille so much. She was the only one that could get to me but of course, her heart had to be somewhere else. And then Caleb shows up and the family I always wanted with Lucille is right in front of me. Now it would never be white picket fence but having a wife and a son is more than I could ask for" he sighed.

"I feel the same to be honest" Caleb fessed "I just want a family. I want a mom, a dad and I couldn't find that in Rick. Sanctuary seems the best place to find that. It's safe and Negan has a hold on things. I was angry Mom and Dad abandoned me at first but now I'm not, I just think Dad it too irresponsible to Rick. They make stupid decisions. All I want is my mom back" I started to tear up and he slightly did too.

I stood up as he did, opened up my arms and he soon wrapped himself in them letting out a sob. My heart broke that he still didn't trust Shane but at this moment I just wanted my little boy in my arms. Well, he wasn't that little anymore but he still managed to tuck his head into my neck and let out all the pent up emotion from the years.

"Shhh it's okay bud, we'll figure it out"