XVI

Tonight was the night we were finally going to finally escape. To think the whole time we were trapped here it wasn't necessarily due to the walls or Negan himself, it was a fear of the world outside and a fear of having to run away from the responsibilities we had. Nothing was left for us in Sanctuary. I knew chances were slim but maybe we'd find a peaceful life out there.

I was in the courtyard waiting for Shane to bring around one of the vehicles that were left when all of the wives had run out to where I was stood. I didn't even look like I belonged with them anymore.

"You're leaving aren't you?" Amber questioned walking up to the front of the group.

"Amber-"

"Take us with you please"

"What? No." I couldn't handle having to support someone else out there and no offence to them but they didn't come across as the type of people who could rely on their own protection. Out my own love for the girls, I decided they were better off here.

"Why, it's not fair!"

"Amber, you'd be a liability. You're better off here with your Mom and Negan. Same for the rest of you."

"No! You don't just get to leave!" She leapt forward and grabbed onto the duffel bag on my shoulder trying to grab it. It had all the supplies we managed to steal last minute and was essential to our survival. The other wives just stood there watching our pathetic scrap.

"Amber just let go" For someone so small she was putting a lot of strength into this tug of war.

"No! You can't just leave me!" She screamed. I heard the hum of an engine approaching and I knew I'd have to put an end to the fight. I suddenly yanked the bag towards my body and tore it out of her grasp. She charged forward to grab it again but I sent a powerful shove to her shoulders forcing her to fall on the floor. However, I didn't expect her to hit her head off the ground and start to bleed.

The wives all rushed towards her in a panic and I took a few steps back still fuming with the anger that momentarily possessed me. She was knocked unconscious and it looked like I was already breaking my own no murder rule.

"What the fuck Pricilla!" One of them shouted while lifting her head up into their lap. Negan was already going to be 'pissed' his prized wife had run away with his best man but now another one had been seriously damaged.

I turned my head to see Shane waiting on a motorbike in front of the gates signalling it was time to go. With one last look at the scene before me, I ran over to my Prince Charming, threw open the metal door and climbed on to the bike. I checked the bag was secure on my back, wrapped my arms around Shane's waist and rested my cheek on the space between his shoulder blades.

"What happened over there?"

"I'll explain later" I grumbled.

"We've got to take the side roads, heard they're having a showdown on the main highway" He shouted over the engine.

"Where's the sunset we're driving off into to then?"

"How about we just head to the beach?"

"Sounds perfect to me"

I snuggled back into his warmth and lightly closed my eyes listening to the sounds and scenery rush past. The coastal air was going to be bliss in comparison to the the stuffy factory and I couldn't be happier to live out my days there.

- - -

When we did arrive at the coast we didn't quite get the sunset we expected, in fact, we got the opposite, a sunrise. A new day was starting at it felt rather symbolic of a new start to our lives. Apparently Shane had 'visited' a community around here before and knew the surrounding neighbourhoods were clear of walkers due to the sound defences they had set up.