Part 4 - Old knots

11 months later... in Seoul

"Se Ri'ya, I'm on my way." Her mother's text interrupted the retort she had for Gu Seong Joon.

Se Ri had invited Gu Seong Joon over for a farewell lunch at her place. Now that Gu Seong Joon's sentencing was complete, he was a free man and ready to leave the country. The prosecution had reduced his changes in exchange for his co-operation to indict Se Hyung and Sang Ah, however, he couldn't escape prison time entirely. 

"It could have been a lot worse being married to you," she offered as a rebuttal when Seong Joon had asked if she was better off being single before the text arrived.

"Well, thank god that we'll never find out," he quipped as he took in a mouthful of meat wrapped in lettuce.

Se Ri smiled while continuing to flip the meat strips over the table grill. 

Gu Seung Joon's movements slowed as he noticed that the woman in front of him wasn't the same Se Ri he'd met a year back in Pyongyang. Despite her predicament of being in a country she didn't belong in, her smiles had reached her eyes then. 

"Have you been in touch?" he hesitated to broach the subject that might damper her mood further. Nonetheless, he was curious."You know - with Ri Jeyong Hyuk?"

Se Ri froze. It had been a while since anyone used his name in her presence. 

Averting her eyes, she giggled. "Are you kidding? It's not like he lives in Africa or even Antartica for me to give him a call. This is Pukan we are talking about."

"But he does know how to come over for a visit." Gu Seung Joon raised his eyebrows. "I helped him. Remember?"

"For that, I'll ever be thankful." She refused to meet his eyes. "And hopefully, there won't be a second time."

"You seriously wish that?" He was taken back with her response. "Don't get me wrong, but I have spent a fair share of my time being the third wheel between you two. I didn't expect that."

She turned off the grill and folded her arms. For all the days she spent yearning for him, it wasn't an easy answer. There was no doubt she wanted him in her life, but that would always remain unsaid on her part.

Just as she was preparing to respond, she heard the electronic beeps of her entryway door being unlocked. Her Omma was here. 

She waved to her mother, as she entered the living area. Gu Seung Joon got off the chair and bowed in respect. Walking towards the kitchen, her omma gestured that they continue with their lunch and began putting away the groceries she'd brought. 

Once Gu Seung Joon settled back in the chair, Se Ri lowered her voice to offer an explanation. "It's only a dream if you can live it for a short while," her voice began to crack, but she steadied herself in a wink. "In the end, we are always bound to return to a reality that's far cruel than the stuff nightmares are made of. I cannot have one without the other." She ended with a sigh. 

"Do you mean it?" Gu Seung Joon put down the chopsticks and sat back to study her. 

Se Ri carelessly bounced her shoulders. "Does it matter?" 

Gu Seung Joon exhaled and  on to the table, even as he was turning around to ensure that her omma was a good measure away. "What if I told you that I may go back to Pyongyang?"

"Are you crazy?" Se Ri's eyes widened. She struggled to believe that the man was returning for business. "Its a woman, isn't it?" She closed her mouth in shock, as realization quickly dawned on her. "Omo! Seo Dan'sshi?"

Gu Seung Joon cringed. "Now that I have told you, I feel terrible. But relieved just as much." Despite his assurance, embarrassment pooled into his face. Albeit a conman, it wasn't easy for Gu Seung Joon to tell the woman he'd proposed first that he was in love with another. Se Ri tapped his hand with understanding.