Part 8 - Road to nowhere

Everything appeared calm at the road that led to Director Ri's home. Pyo Chi Soo showed his credentials at the gate and made his way inside.

As he entered the foyer that led him to the living room, he noticed it was unusually calm for a house that ought to be chaotic. He unbuttoned the holder and placed a ready head over his gun when he heard a command that there was no danger and that he hurry inside.

Stepping into the room, he now recognized the voice to be that of General Ri Myung Su and straightened to greet him with a salute. He sighted the disarray of the room, the empty table free of files and the lack of pictures on the wall, which all hinted that the packing had begun long before. 

"Ri Jyeong Hyuk knew one of you will show up here." General Ri got up from his seat to open up a safe next to what was Director Ri's table by the window.

"Director Ri Dongmu," Pyo Chi Soo began, but the General cut him off.

"You don't have to worry about my brother. I have taken care of that." He took out a bunch of papers and handed it to him. "If everything plays out per Jyeong Hyuk's arrangements then let's hope that they will be safe soon. For your own safety, its best you don't know anything more."

Pyo Chi Soo's form slackened. "Are you saying Ri Jyeing Hyuk Dongmu knew he was going to be arrested?" His eyes wavered showing the confusion.

"Well," General Ri sighed. "Let's just say that he knew something of this sort would happen the day he crossed the DMZ. No fool would sit back and not use such incriminating evidence against my brother." He took off his cap and placed it on the table. "All of you being saved by Director Ri in Sariwon forest was what not part of the plan. Executing the military general merely added severity. Ri Jyeong Hyuk began preparing for this day ever since."

Pyo Chi Soo shook his head in understanding.

The General cleared his voice to draw Pyo Chi Soo's attention. "The party hasn't been brought in yet. It's being dealt with by the state department, which implies that they don't want the matter to escalate. You should start there."

General Ri pointed to the file in Pyo Chi Soo's possession. "Jyeong Hyuk reserved some apartments for your families in one of the upcoming constructions in the Sunchon area. I have got it approved."

Pyo Chi Soo shook with disbelief, at the untimeliness of the information. "What are you -" he started and the General intervened again.

"This is his way of showing his gratitude for all that you have done so far." General Ri's voice weakened with emotion. "He said that he wanted all of you to be closer to your families."

The General was silent. Pyo Chi Soo stood in attention ready to leave, his chest heavy with the unsaid words that the General left to his interpretation.

To Pyo Chi Soon, it was clear that this was the end that Ri Jyeong Hyuk had foreseen when it reckoned that the apartments he'd reserved were his farewell gift to them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arriving at the apartment, Pyo Chi Soo, briefed them of his exchange with the General. "He wants us to start with the State Department - " Pyo Chi Soo continued when they heard Eun Dong break into a wail, reviewing the housing papers.

"Does this mean we won't ever see Ri Jyeong Hyuk Dongmu again?" He stumbled and fell back onto his bed. "If Director Ri Dongmu had to disappear," he was sobbing now, "then is there no hope for Ri Jyeong Hyuk Dongmu?"

Kwang beum ran to him. "Eun Dong, Jyeong Hyuk Dongmu needs your help more than your concern."

"Ya," Pyo chi woo yelled. "There are many steps between getting arrested and being sentenced to death. Don't jump the gun yet."