Part 10 - Land of dreams

It was another twenty minutes before they could drag her gear up the slope and arrive at the parking lot. For the entire stretch, she hung by his side, his arm nestled around her back. At times when she stepped away, he held onto her hand, swinging them as they gained elevation. She was unusually silent as if this was a reverie that would be broken by words.

"Ottuke?" He caught her whisper occasionally, looking up at him. In response, he kissed her forehead, believing anything else he had to offer would only be momentary placation.

Their cars were the only ones left in the dimly lit lot. He tugged her lightly to get her attention. "I hope you don't have any plans." Noticing that she was likely to shake her head in assent, he continued with the proposition. "I would like to take you someplace."

She nodded, beaming with approval. He waited in his jeep, as she ambled about outside, arranging for her Porsche to be picked up.

"How did you know I was here?" She eventually managed, once they began their drive downhill. "Or even know to find me at First Flieger?"

"I got your message." He briefly met her eyes.

Her eyebrows drew together, after a full second. "But you weren't online until after you showed up here?"

He reached for her hand. "I promise, I'll explain it later." With his hand looped over hers on the arm-rest, he guided the steering with his free hand through the bends and curves of the road.

Halfway through the drive, he caught her drift off, her head resting against the window. He registered that she was likely jetlagged with Seoul being eight hours ahead of their timezone. He took in her red flying suit and disheveled hair. Albeit fashionably disheveled in her opinion, he corrected himself, smiling. At random, his mind drew parallels to the first time they had met. Though she didn't crash land on him, the news of her being in Swiss and the decision to meet her had happened in a similar flash. 

By and large, he didn't fully think through the decision to show himself to her. Therefore, he wanted to regard how best to share what had transpired in the last two years with her. Once she caught wind of the permanent shifts, he knew she would want to hear everything. He will have to rip the bandage, he concurred. It left him wanting at least a day with her without having to talk about the events that led him here. After all, it would be her birthday in a few hours. Considering what he knew about how she spent her last few birthdays, either believing he'd left or waiting unawares if he would come for her, he wanted to make it about her without a thought for the past or the future. 

About ten minutes from their destination, she stirred. "Where are we, Ri Jyeong Hyuk'sshi?"

"Lungern," he said, her thumb stroking her hand in assurance. "We're almost there."

*****

After a short uphill drive, they arrived at the private driveway of what appeared to be an old estate gate. She watched him punch a keycode into his phone and the gate opened, to let them through. With nightfall, she couldn't see past the few yards lit by the vehicle, as they further navigated turns of a winding road. However, once they made it to the entryway of the mansion, the lights came on, revealing the ongoing construction outside. On the contrary, the floor to ceiling glass windows by the door presented a well put together interiors that were still bare and needed furnishings. 

"Is this a friend's house? Or a relative's?" She craned her neck out the window, concluding that no property rental would lease out a half-finished house. "Is this were you are staying for this trip?"

Unlocking his door, he smiled in response and bounced out to come around the front of the jeep and opened the door for her. 

Her feet began moving of its own volition, as he slackly perched against the jeep, his hands tucked inside his pockets. She kept turning to look back at him. In no time her curious glances morphed into one of surprise, just as she perused the alteratives to her former inquiry.