Part 20 - Homecoming I

Two weeks later...

"Over two-thirds of the shareholders attending this meeting, including those who signed a power of attorney, have voted, in favor of Mr. Yoon Jeung-pyeong continuing to hold the management rights."

Even as the applause resounded, the doors swung open and she stepped outside the conference room, holding her temple.

"I need you to check on everyone who voted for Appa," she said glancing back to Secretary Kim.

The pudgy man raced to fall in step with her. "Isn't that a good thing depunim?" He cleared his voice in response to her glare. "You don't seem happy."

She came to a halt. "Does it even make sense?" She sounded exasperated, but in reality, her bones felt wrung out and it wasn't even noon yet. "Appa is in the hospital and yet, he gets to keep his position as CEO!"

The logic was mind-bending and despite the win being in their favor, her heart was restless.

Snatching the file from Secretary Kim, she reviewed the list of names who they believed were on their side. It was nearly not enough people for her father to have won the vote of confidence against her oppa. "Get me the list of those who voted for us today."

Secretary Kim nodded vehemently and hurried back in. Just then her phone buzzed and she reached for it, knowing well it could only be her mother.

"I expected him to make small trouble," her amma went off at once, "but he's out only to prove he'll ever be as stupid as the day he was locked up."

"You have to give him credit too." She scoffed. "Calling a shareholder meeting, a week after his release is no joke either."

"Come to the hospital." Her mother's voice lowered with concern. "Your father wants to see you as well."

She acknowledged her mother's request and hung up. Secretary Kim was back by her side then, extending a set of papers to her. Taking hold of them, she caught her oppa walking past them from the corner of her eye.

She ignored him rightfully so, which appeared to have annoyed him enough to pause.

"Always remember that you started this." His tone was accusatory and her gaze held the constant defiance she reserved for her bother alone.

She had begun everything, hadn't she? By being born into the world and brought into their family. Thanks to him, she couldn't have felt more unwelcome in their home, until the day she moved out.

"Anything else you want to add to the list, send me a memo," she said and returned to perusing the list.

"When you beat me to making appa's hospitalization news public," her oppa barked with a rabid look on his face. "I didn't worry so much about it when I wanted the same, but I underestimated you."

I made appa's hospitalization news public?

He pointed a finger at her in censure, his face livid. "You lapped up all of the stock like the b*^%# that you are."

Far beyond the insult, her mind was stuck on the new information her brother brought to light and her breath quickened. She blinked, willing to not consider the only other possibility that came to her.

"Rise Corporation!" Her brother gave a loud derisive laugh that morphed into a cry of frustration. "Who would have thought that you would act so openly and yet manage to fool all of us?"

Rise Corporation? Rise? A thin sheen of sweat began to form on her forehead. Something about the mention had a strange sense of forewarning and her natural curiosity peaked to find out more.