Part 12 - Though the darkness

Author's note: I wrote and rewrote Chapter 11's ending many times, so not sure which version you have read. It won't hurt to revisit it if you care. Also, chapter 12 is really two chapters in one, so settle down, pull up the throw, maybe grab popcorn or tea before you start :)

Her stomach grumbled and he suggested that they order take out. She freed herself from the hug and sat up. "You should grab something for yourself." Pointing to the clock she said, "It's too late for me. I could use some tea. Don't mind fruit either."

Lacking the motivation to cook dinner, he mentioned that he would skip dinner too. Getting to his feet, he left for the kitchen to put together a snack plate.

Se Ri lurched out of bed and hurried to the bathroom. Pouting, she finger-combed her rouge curls, in an attempt to tame them, when his allusion to her as a siren came to mind. Her fingers stilled as she took in her image in the mirror and the beginnings of an impish smile tugged at her lips. Casting a glance to check if he'd returned, she worked on the tangles and bunched up her hair to tie into a bun. She twisted her neck from one side to another, tucking away the wisps of hair that fell over her neck.

"Is that a test for me or for you?" she heard him from behind and jumped at his sudden presence.

From the mirror's reflection, she caught him leaning against the door, with his hands folded, while his eyes stayed fixed over the shoulder where her shirt had slid down to reveal her nape.

"I don't know what you are talking about," she said dropping her gaze, and pumped moisturizer to smooth over her hands, all the while curbing a smile that pushed against her lips.

"I thought you said you needed some time." His eyebrows shot up at her with an inquiry, while he drew a mocking smile.

"You weren't listening." She titled her head to one side. "I said I needed more time." She caught his eyes again in the mirror.

"Is there a difference?" His face scrunched with confusion.

"Absolutely!" She nodded smiling.

"Well," his lips twisted with a smirk. "Let me just tell you that I'm not playing this game." He straightened and stepped towards her.

Her mouth formed a small pout in disappointment.

"You see winning is about losing in this game," he said leaning in with his hands propped against the countertop on her either side, caging her body. "If it's easier to lose without playing, then why play at all?" His voice dropped to a teasing whisper, his breath warm against her ears.

Their vicinity brought a burning awareness to the parts of her that could almost brush against him if he moved a dash closer. She didn't look away admiring the ways of the assured man poised in the background, basking in his bold defiance to not indulge her, and yet, deceptively play along. His coiffed swept-back hair made him look tad bit older than the soldier she'd met two years ago. She found herself contemplating if it was the self-assurance that came with age, or if his newfound freedom to pursue her that exonerated him from the guilt he'd mentioned in his messages, to unapologetically tantalize her.

"Too bad!" She managed a scoff. "Nae namja (my man) isn't into delayed gratification." Her voice shook caught in the vortex of the desire she saw in his eyes and yet strained to come across unaffected.

He raised a challenging brow at her. "Who said you can't have your cake..."  As he inches near, she felt his exhale rake a heat over the curve of her neck. "And eat it too?" he ended and she heard his voice reach her from a distance, as her mind faltered to register anything but the impelling touch of his lips on her nape.