Part 6 - Near and far

His mind was everywhere and nowhere at once. 

"Are you ill?" General Ri Myung Su enquired at different times noticing his unusual absorption as they went through the motions of Seo Jin's registration at the Blaise School of Music; his old school. Part of keeping his uncle pleased with him, involved making Seo Jin happy. When it overlapped with his love for piano, he was grateful, but today it was one of regret for it brought him to the city she was in. 

It wasn't the hellos that he feared, but the goodbyes that he knew weighed on their souls. 

However, when he took a seat to play the piano, at the Dean's request, he found the escape he was looking for in Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu in C sharp Minor. 

"A little rusty, but still the same Ri Jyeong Hyuk that I know," the Dean patted his arm. The affectionate acknowledgment brought back his lost cheer. After Seo Jin's audition and admission interview, they left to spend the rest of the day shopping and exploring Bern. 

Between taking calls from the office about an upcoming summit and helping Seo Jin pick a handbag color, he was nearly distracted. It was when he let his guard down, occupied with a call from his assistant that he felt someone's hand on his shoulder. 

He turned around to find Se Ri's omeoni. The suddenness froze him, helping to hide his shock. Though he met her mother's surprised gaze for a moment, his eyes searched for Se Ri, caught in both a deepening worry and eagerness. 

"She is not here," Se Ri's mother spoke in disbelief placing a hand over her mouth. "She went to Grindelwald for paragliding."

When he sighed with visible relief, Se Ri's mother steadied herself grasping the situation. "Can we talk?" she suggested. 

Asking Seo Jin to meet him at the nearby cafe once done with her shopping, Jyeong Hyuk left with Se Ri's mother. They sat by a cafe window in silence for a while, until Jyeong Hyuk realized he hadn't greeted her. "How have you been? I hope you are healthy."  

She nodded. "I'm happy to see you, but -" Her voice fell off and she chose to take a sip of the hot coffee instead. "I don't know if that sentiment remains when I think about Se Ri," she managed. 

Ri Jyeong Hyuk looked out the window. He was glad for her mother's concern; that she was indeed by Se Ri's side. 

"Please don't worry, omeonim." He placed a hand on the table. "I am not here to cross paths with Se Ri again."

Despite his assurance, her mother didn't look relieved. She closed her eyes for a long moment. "Se Ri puts up a facade with me that she has let you go. But - " she seemed distraught. "I know that she lives as your wife."

His hand fisted. His eyes remained on his mother, inviting the flash of pain that her words brought him. His wife - as sweet as it sounded to his ears, he was aware that it also spoke of an unsaid melancholy. 

"Seeing you, I can tell that you haven't moved on either." 

Jyeong Hyuk felt her mother's slow pacing of words was to survive the helplessness she was struggling with. 

"I would give anything to not see her fall apart like the way she did when you left a year ago. I'm afraid my daughter cannot handle another parting." She folded her arms and lowered her gaze.

Jyeong Hyuk didn't interrupt her when she moved to pick up her bag. Taking out a card key, she slid it towards him.

"That said, I also trust the man who stood by her door, day and night without food or water praying that she stays alive." Her voice began to break from an unnamed emotion. "You know what's best for you both." She met his eyes gesturing that he take the key. "We are staying at the Bellevue Palace, in the Queen's suite."