Part 19 - Counting down time

6 months later...

In the beginning, when she had never so much as heard from him for two years, having realtime exchanges had been nothing short of a marvel. His brevity had stood out from the start, but it became a distinct bother when he couldn't hold conversations over text. Despite the short responses she got for her yard length notes, she still jumped out of her seat every time the particular chime set for his notifications came through.

And the biggest problem of all - the man was dense when it came to the concept of stickers or emoticons.

Ri Jeong Hyuk: Ok. But what does it mean?

Yoon Se Ri: Will you at least try decoding?

Ri Jeong Hyuk: The bunny has fallen down? Are you hurt?

Yoon Se Ri: The bunny has her feet up against the wall.

Ri Jeong Hyuk: I asked you what you were doing.

Yoon Se Ri: Ok I give up. I meant I'm chilling.

Ri Jeong Hyuk: Is there a dictionary for this?

Yoon Se Ri: I'm never sending you a sticker again.

Ri Jeong Hyuk: (He sent her a sticker in response.)

Yoon Se Ri: Why are you sweating? I'm not mad.

Ri Jeong Hyuk: It's a crying bunny. I meant to ask if you are crying over me being as doltish.

She rolled her eyes but ended up laughing anyway.

Yoon Se Ri: I think I might, luv. That's a bunny covered in sweat.

Ri Jeong Hyuk: Maybe there is a business opportunity here?

Yoon Se Ri: Not really. I'm sure there's a book in your hand. With whom are you cheating on me?

He didn't respond to that and instead switched over to video call.

"I asked for the author's name," she insisted, pursing her lips.

"Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius." He flashed a smile that softened her mock anger. "And it was you I had in my mind when I read this line: Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them."

She melted with his words. He had a way of expressing things without saying. It was through these borrowed words that she'd met the real Ri Jeong Hyuk for the first time. The softness of his voice with the right enunciation at the right places had an uncanny ability to wash over her like honey. Sweet and clinging to her beyond the moment.

"Sounds whimsical," she said looking up the book details. "It's a book on stoicism?" she asked making a face. "As if you aren't stoic enough already."

"One of us should have their feet on the ground," he said throwing his brows up.

"Says the man who bought a cocoa estate in search of the perfect hot chocolate." Placing the phone against a stack of files, she crossed her arms.

"Trust me it's an investment." His image on her screen shook and stabilized after he positioned it at a distance, with the camera capturing his slack form stretched on the bedroom couch. The memories of their many conversations and kisses they'd had there echoing in the abyss of her being.