Part 15 - Revelations

There was a loud knock on the door. "Dinner is served," Gu Seung Jun called out and a sliver of guilt surged. Wasn't she supposed to be the host? Detangling herself from his arms, she winced and the next instant she was taken by the crick in her neck, the bolt of pain that shot through her leg and the general heaviness of her body that resisted motion. Perhaps everything will have to wait until she was pain-free.

At the table, she stuck to the hot soup broth, pushing aside the noodles and all other solids. Even chewing took effort. One side of her head throbbed more than the other. Damn, the meds were wearing off and she needed something to dull the senses again.

"I guess it's not to your liking." Seo Dan pursed her lips, a friendly smile still in her eyes.

"Oh no, Seo Dan'sshi," she shook her head and stopped abruptly from the sudden rush of dizziness. "This soup is really good."

"I think its the meds." Ri Jeong Hyuk offered quickly. "She doesn't seem to much of an appetite. Otherwise, she would have turned the house upside down by now."

She didn't correct him. After all, he had been tormented enough for the day.

Gu Seung Jun raised a brow at her. "I thought your nickname was Picky princess."

"Not about home-cooked food," she said throwing a glance sideways. Not meeting her eyes, Ri Jeong Hyuk cleared his throat and reached for his water glass.

"The way to a woman's heart is through her stomach too, eh?" Gu Seung Jun said, grinning wide. "This one here" —he elbowed Seo Dan gently— "took a whole lot of noo—"

Seo Dan dropped the chopsticks and swiftly drifted over to clamp Gu Seung Jun's mouth. "There is no time and place for you."

Dismissing the discomfort in her jaw, she laughed, joining him. Seo Dan let go, with a warning in her eyes that Gu Seung Jun behave and he winked at her, keeping at his mischief.

The buzz of a phone shook the table and he grabbed it with a knowing smile, directly going for the speaker button.

"Se Ri Dongmu Happy Birthday."  A chorus sang at the other end. 

She beamed, tilting her head towards the speaker. The North Korean birthday song brought back memories of another time and a small prayer rose to her lips. Life was beginning to be like that birthday wish she'd made two years ago. They were all together again, even if not in-person.

"I was waiting to give you all a good scolding," she said, nodding, "but this instant, I cannot stop wishing that you were all here."

"We all hope to meet you soon too." Ju Mok said, rather cheerfully.

"I heard from Ri Jyeong Hyuk'sshi," she said, placing a hand on his arm. "That you all put your lives in danger to help him out. Everything I can offer will fall short of —"

"Just hold onto each other." Pyo Chi Soo ordered, sounding his usual sardonic self, but soon went silent for a moment. "That way we no longer have to keep an eye on you both."

She took in a deep breath. The air was thick with the unsaid and the smile on her face withered. The weight of his arm around her. She leaned on him, taking succor from his warmth, which reinforced that the reality of the day had changed. I'm never letting you go.

Gu Seung Jun and Seo Dan got to their feet. "We're done," he said in hushed tones. "Take your time."

She nodded at Gu Seung Jun and returned to the call.

"Ya Pyo Chi Soo," she drawled. "You are beginning to sound like a real Oppa. Don't tell me I have to be formal with you?"

"Would you believe that Pyo Chi Soo Dongmu is engaged now?" Eun dong took over.