Part 17 - Forever entwined - I

It was still twilight outside and he didn't want to start walking just yet. He checked his watch again. Sunrise was another hour away.

His phone chimed for the umpteenth time and a knowing smile curved his lips. He clicked on the notification and it opened up the messaging app. It was surreal that they could exchange direct messages, a novelty that he was still getting used to.

Yoon Se Ri: If you are thinking about a nap, that's a bad idea. I don't want you to miss your birthday Sunrise.

Ri Jeong Hyuk: Tell me what's different about a birthday sunrise. Will it be green?

Yoon Se Ri: Haha! You are missing the point. You start your birthday with a Sunrise because I SAID SO!

It had only been a week since she left, but he missed her, the longing deep-set and thickened by the day. However, unlike the years of endless wait, it was different too. Now, he waited over video calls and text messages, making her absence more bearable.

But their new life had its own challenges too. Two days ago, she'd fallen apart during the video call. I know I'm not there for your birthday, but I promise to make it up to you.  It hadn't been the tears, but the knowledge that she would live through many more moments of helplessness had led him to question everything he'd done up to that instant.

Another beep and he picked up his phone.

Yoon Se Ri: It'll take you 10 mts to walk up to the bridge from the parking lot. I hope you are bundled up. And tell me you brought the camera???

Ri Jeong Hyuk: Yes to all three of the question marks.

Yoon Se Ri: Call me after you are done catching the sunrise and tell me if it was different. Happy Birthday, luv!

He slung the backpack onto his shoulders, grabbed his jacket, and sought Chopin on his headphones to keep him company for the climb.

In no time, he reached the start of the bridge, however, a thick fog wave covered the said panorama. The sky was an indigo blue, which would soon make way for the twilight hues of pink and purple and eventually lead to the bold strokes of reds and yellows. Despite the fog-filled valley, the promise of a sunrise view lingered with clear skies on the horizon. That would still make for a usual sunrise, one that will be unique, and spectacular as every other day. Not different.

But she wanted it to be different...

The sound of plastic scraping over metal drew closer and the vibrations on the rails picked up a notch. The wind swirled the fog to his left, clearing his line of sight all the way to the end of the bridge.

And there she was, a vision in scarlet, in a red dress and jacket, standing by the middle of the bridge, waiting for him to reach her. When he was within earshot distance from her, she said, "I missed you."

He came to a stop, smiling, when still a few yards away from her. Finishing up the photoshoot, she must have jumped onto any plane that must have brought her to the country. Or one nearby. What will I do with this rebel of a woman?

She beamed and he walked to her taking in her efforts to dress up in a red ensemble to showcase she was someone's Valentine. His. Gathering her in his arms, he breathed in the fragrance of something floral and the smell that was distinctly her. "How did you reach here?"

"I took the wrong train." She mumbled against his chest.

"You have a thing for recreating moments, don't you?" He said fully lifting her off the ground.