Part 7 - Beginning of the end

Three months later...

The Ex. Company 5 Battalion members, now part of Unit 180, continued to churn out reports of any chatter they heard on the dark web. Kwang Beum and Chi Soo helped to piece the picture about important missions that were being commissioned.

Jyeong Hyuk anticipated that the power struggle for his father's position wouldn't end with the Military Director's death. There were others behind the scenes and were only emboldened with the news of him crossing over to South Korea. Despite his impulsive move being covered up as an RGB mission gone wrong, the involvement of the SK NIS officials and the Military Director's execution left others digging for skeletons. 

Positioning himself in the CMC gave him access to information and authority to keep tabs on those who vied for his father's office. However, working with General Ri Myung Su also meant he was open to attack when all of his steps were under scrutiny. There was a constant countdown in his head and he understood it was just what his father must have felt over the years to watch out for him. 

"There has been nothing about your father," Ju Mok announced to the group assembled at his apartment.

"Ri Myung Su Dongmu's peers and sub-ordinates are also focused on the Summit and we don't see them meeting anyone outside of the ordinary," Chi soo, added. 

The upcoming summit with China through the External Economic Committee, to re-negotiate trade relations also governed the routes that dealt with arms exports. In-turn the indirect involvement had everyone from the CMC on their toes. 

"I'll be heading to Macau, to work with the Chinese officials and prepare the agenda for the summit." Ri Jyeong Hyuk, informed the group. "I will leave next week. General Ri Myung Su Dongmu will not be joining me."

Eun Dong intervened, as Jyeong Hyuk got to his feet. "You might want to see this," he handed a printout of an article. "Se Ri Dongmu is getting an award from the SK government." Smiling, Ri Jeyong Hyuk filed the paper along with the other reports he'd gotten from them. It had become something of a habit to reserve anything to do with Se Ri for his alone time and he was beginning to look forward to it. 

"Keep an eye out especially if nothing seems out of place," he turned around, sensing an odd intuition that his team needed the reminder. "You will have to think on your feet and seek allies if we are unable to get in touch," he paused for emphasis. "Just like the games you used to play." 

"Ri Jyeong Hyuk Dongmu, careful with the COVID-19 outbreak." Kwang Beum sounded concerned. He nodded in response before stepping out to return home.

In contrast to the fact that many wanted their family expunged, he hadn't found any evidence of foul play, which made him overcautious. No matter the measures he had in place, his instincts told him that he would have to wait for the chips to fall in place before he would know their game. There was a chance that it might be too late to take action, but he had no choice but to wait. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the flight to Macau, he couldn't stop reliving the moments he'd read and re-read the article Eun Dong had given him.

The SK government was felicitating Se Ri for her thoughtfulness to recycle torn and worn-out clothes and repurpose them for children in need. It appeared that she'd begun the project a few months after their separation. The interview mentioned that she reached out to her upper-class friends to begin collecting lightly worn clothes that needed minor repair. The investment from Se Ri's choice was only on the personnel, real-estate and logistics front, to fix and distribute the clothes. In addition to being environment-friendly, the mended garments had a personal touch - she re-branded them as 'Well-loved by Se Ri," with a stitched on Red heart in places where the tear was patched.