Chapter 16

The search for Grindelwald was spearheaded by Celeste, Gilbert and Theseus, who met with nothing but failure.

Celeste's reputation as the head of a department was rising rapidly as she began to capture the acolytes, who were less careful.

Gilbert and Theseus became more famous for their spy network they set across the world. Spielman worked for the German ministry yet helped British law and enforcement with many negotiations with European ministries.

Newt's attempt at reverting his ban went in vain, and now all the delegates decided to offer him an exchange that Celeste was familiar with.

Despite her protesting that the objective is barbaric and nothing different from what Grindelwald is doing, the meeting was scheduled for today with her being in attendance as head of magical law and enforcement.

She chewed on her cuticle while she waited for Newt to appear in the room she was sitting along with German delegate, Rudolf Spielman and American delegate, Arnold Guzman. Theseus was also part of the hearing but he was there to get Newt.

"You have to convince him. He is our only hope." Arnold said, making Celeste scoff. "Why is an obscurus so important? Shouldn't we put this energy into tracing down Grindelwald?" Celeste asked, giving her superior a look.

"Because he wants that obscurus, I thought that was pretty much clear." Spielman said, his eyebrows raised. Celeste just fumed in silence as she decided to bite her tongue and stay silent for a while.

Theseus appeared after a while with Newt. Celeste's jaw clenched and she breathed deeply. She took the papers that were in front of her and started to read aloud.

"This hearing is for request of ending Mr. Newton Scamander's ban on international travel." Celeste started to speak in a stiff manner.

"So, you want us to end this travel ban, on what basis?" Spielman asked, making Newt shift in his chair awkwardly.

"Well I love to travel internationally and I am currently working on a book of mine." Newt said, his gaze stayed on the floor and kept blinking rapidly.

"'Subject uncooperative and evasive on reasons of last international trip.'" Spielman said from his document, making Celeste sigh as she wasn't getting a word in.

"It was a field trip. I was collecting material for my book on magical crea-" Newt tried to speak, but Arnold butted in.

"You destroyed half of New York." Arnold said, making both Newt and Celeste whip their head towards Arnold.

"No, that's factually incorrect on-" Newt was again cut off but by Theseus this time. "Newt!" Theseus sternly, making Celeste clear her throat.

"Mr. Theseus Scamander, if you will let me." Celeste said, giving Theseus a look. He nodded his head in defeat.

"As a prime eyewitness to that disaster, it was Grindelwald who destroyed half of New York city. It was because of Mr. Newton Scamander, that situation was under control of Mr. Guzman. So can we stay on point? Hmm?" Celeste asked, in a challenging tone.

"Mr. Scamander, it's clear you're frustrated and, frankly, so are we. In the spirit of compromise, we'd like to make a proposition." Mr. Guzman continued, while Celeste just looked at the direction of Newt, who lifted up his head at that sentence. Celeste gave him a look.

"What proposition?" Newt asked, knowing well what they wanted. "The committee will lift your ban on one condition." Celeste said, fiddling with her thumbs.

"You join the ministry, your wife's department to be precise." Spielman said, making Celeste sigh internally.

"No, I- Celeste is a great hitwitch and an amazing head of the department and that's her talent. My talent lies elsewhere." Newt said, nervously blinking and picking at his thumb's cuticle.