twenty one: brownies!

Billie

I was very drunk now. The turning of the car was kind of making me dizzy but I didn't say anything about it. I was holding onto Grayson's hand in my lap and he was driving with one hand. He looked good like that. 

'I know you try and be cool and act like you don't care about anything but I think you're actually a nice guy.' I blurted out. Here we go.

'Well thank you.' He was laughing at me and shaking my head. 'And I can tell that you're really shy but I think it's actually really cute.' I couldn't tell if it was butterflies in my stomach or the churning of the alcohol.

'Yeah I'm shy when I'm sober.' I admitted. 'But I'm like a whole new person when I've been drinking.' I giggled at myself.

'I can tell.' He laughed.

'So I think we need to meet up when I'm sober so you can decide if you like the shy version of me.' I said. He glanced at me quickly.

'I'd like that.' He said, grinning. 'But I think my mind's made up.'

I squeezed his hand in response and he squeezed back. 

'Wait, where are we going again?' I had forgotten that the party was over and I realised that I couldn't go home in this state.

'To your's, remember? I'm dropping you home.' He reminded me. Shit. I couldn't go home like this.

'No, you can't take me home when I'm this drunk.' I panicked. 'We have to go somewhere else until I'm sober. If I go home like this my parents might wake up and if they see me they'll kill me!' I tried to think of a solution, but I didn't want to ask to go back to his in case he got the wrong idea.

'Calm down, calm down.' He said, brushing my hand with his thumb. 'I won't take you home yet if you don't want me to. We can get some food and go sit somewhere.' I sighed in relief.

'Thank you.' I said. I turned in my seat and rested my head on the head rest, staring at Grayson. He must have noticed me looking because after about five minutes he started laughing.

'What are you looking at?' He asked through chuckles.

'You have really green eyes.' I said. 'Like really green. They're so nice. Even Maddie said so.' Oops, I just exposed that we'd been talking about him.

'Oh really?' He said sarcastically. 'Well you have really nice brown eyes.' 

I blushed and the butterflies returned to my stomach.

Soon enough we arrived at a 24-hour gas station. He undid his seat belt and I attempted to do the same, but failed.

'Stay here, I'll be back in a couple of minutes.' He said, then he got out the car and walked into the shop. I watched him through the window and found myself smiling like an idiot. But right now I didn't care.

I caught a glance of myself in the mirror. To my surprise, I didn't look absolutely awful. My curly hair had pretty much fallen out, but my make up was all still on and in tact. 

After a few minutes Grayson was back in the car. He was carrying a bag of food and water that he placed by my feet and we set off again.

'Where are we going now?' I asked in a playful tone.

'Just to this little place I like to go to sometimes.' He sounded mysterious, which made me excited.

After about ten minutes of driving, we arrived at the top of a hill. Grayson parked on the side of the road and got out the car. This time, I successfully undid my seat belt, but by the time I had done so, Grayson had opened my car door. I climbed out of the car and Grayson grabbed the bag of food before locking his car and stuffing the keys in his pocket.

He led me onto a patch of grass with a tree in the middle. Directly under the big tree was a little bench. It was clearly very old and had graffiti all over it, but it was nice. Once we reached the tree, I could see why Grayson liked to come here. 

Although it was dark, I could see the whole of the town that we lived in. There were some houses with lights still on, most without. There were a few cars driving around with headlights on, and absolutely not a person in sight. Apart from us. 

'Come and sit down.' Grayson told me as he patted the bench next to where he was already sitting. I sat down on the bench, leaving a small gap between us. But my drunk self took over and scooched closer to him. Before I knew it his arm was draped over my shoulder and I was leaning slightly into him. I reached into the bag from the shop and pulled out a bottle of water. I opened it and took a long gulp of the cool, refreshing liquid. I offered it to Grayson but he didn't want any.

I dived back into the back and pulled out a plastic tub. It was took dark to see what the packaging was for, but when I opened the round box, a delicious chocolaty smell hit my nostrils.

'Brownies!' I gasped. Grayson threw his head back in laughter.

'I thought you might like them.' He said. I stuck my hand into the tub and took one of the little squares of gooey brownie out. But instead of putting it in my own mouth, I wafted it in front of Grayson's.

'You want it?' I asked. He nodded before opening his mouth and I chucked the brownie in. I then fed myself one of the brownies and we sat in silence while we enjoyed the taste.

I took in a deep breathe of the cold, fresh air and closed my eyes. I felt comfortable, like there was no one else in the world but me and Grayson. It must have been the early hours of the morning, the streets below us were empty.

I realised that Grayson and I still didn't really know anything about each other. I knew he was 18, and his name. But that was about it.

'What are your family like?' I asked out of the blue. I look up at him and his eyes met mine. Although it was dark, the moonlight lit up his gorgeous green eyes. He looked a little taken aback, but I didn't think that was a weird question to ask.

'Um, well its me, my mum and my dad.' He said quickly. But he abruptly shut his mouth after that.

'You must all be close if you're the only child.' I pushed to find out more. I'd been realising that he was quite a closed book. It was difficult to get much out of him, but I was determined to try.

'Not really.' He said. 'I can't wait to get out of that house forever, to be honest.' His face immediately showed that he'd said too much. He stopped talking again.

'Where are you gonna go?' I was a little confused about why he wanted to move out so much.

'Anywhere but here.' His stern face broke into a smile and he laughed quietly. 'What about you? What's your family like?'

'Well, there's my mum and dad and I've got two older brothers.' I said. 

'Well I'm dead if I fuck this up. How old are they?' He laughed. To be honest, he was probably right. I didn't get on with my brothers 24/7 but they were definitely protective of me. 

'One's 19 and the other is 21.' I told him.

'Ah shit.' He said and we laughed. I knew it was all jokey but I hoped that neither of us would fuck it up.