thirty eight: we need to leave

Grayson

I had opened the door to a panting Ben, a bunch of tatty flowers and a chocolate orange in his hands.

'Bro, where have you been?' I asked, pulling him inside. 'Maddie's been crying her eyes out back there.'

'Her parents kicked me out and I felt bad because I caused them to have a massive fight so I went to get these.' He motioned at the gifts in his arms as he spoke.

'How did you even know she was here anyway?' I wondered.

'Well I went back to her house but she wasn't there so I guessed this was the next place she would come.' He blurted, still panting. I led him down the hall, towards the kitchen where Billie and Maddie were still sat.

'Good luck explaining why you didn't answer her calls.' I patted him on the shoulder, genuinely wishing him luck.

'My phone died man.' He stopped halfway to the kitchen. 'Is she pissed?' His face showed nervousness and fear.

'Nah, she's just upset.' I explained. 'Wait until you see the state she's in.' We continued walking into the kitchen to find a still crying Maddie sitting next to a worried looking Billie. As soon as Billie saw Ben, she got up and dragged me over to the stove where we had been making pancakes peacefully ten minutes ago.

'Stand there.' She ordered as she yanked me towards her so that I had my back to Ben and Maddie, and she had the perfect view of what was about to unfold. I could still here the conversation just about, but I watched Billie's facial expressions to tell me what was really going on.

'You're so cheeky.' I laughed, kissing her on the cheek. 'Tell me what happens though.' I couldn't help but join in the sneakiness.

 'Sshh!' She whispered to me before giggling and pecking me on the lips. But before I could get any more action she was focused on Ben and Maddie behind me again.

Soon enough she was grinning at them and had tilted her head to the side with a hand on her chest, as if to say aww. By now I had picked up a pancake from the stack and shoved half of it in my mouth with no toppings or anything. My stomach was empty and we still hadn't eaten due to this interruption. 

I knew Ben and Maddie were going to be fine. No girl can resist a guy who turns up, panting, with flowers and chocolate, there was no way. 

'Do you want some pancakes?' Billie suddenly called over to them. 'We have more than enough.' It was true, we'd made enough pancakes for everyone to have ten each.

After we had all stuffed our faces with pancakes covered in Nutella, strawberries and cream, we all sat round the table just talking.

Billie was playing footsie with me under the table. After last night, we couldn't keep our hands off of each other. But that was our little secret for now. I knew Billie hadn't told Maddie because at the time Maddie had been sobbing over her relationship almost falling apart. It would have been a bit cruel to boast about that at the time.

'We should get going.' Ben said, standing up from his chair and carrying all the empty plates over to the kitchen counter. 

'Thanks for the breakfast.' Maddie ran round to where Billie was sitting. 'We'll let ourselves out so you lovebirds don't have to get up.'

'Okay Mads.' Billie said. Maddie leaned down and gave Billie a hug while I said goodbye to Ben.

Billie gave Ben a quick hug before they let themselves out the house, shutting the front door behind them.

Billie turned to me and placed her hands on my thigh.

'Do you want to come to my auntie's house?' She asked excitedly. 'My mum said you could come if you want.'