thirty three: only alright?

Billie

On Christmas morning, I woke up early. Like I do every year. I can never help it, but I'm always just too excited to sleep. I sat up in bed, a grin on my face. Grayson was the first thing that came to my mind, like he was the last thing before I fell asleep. I smiled to myself as I picked up my phone and texted him Merry Christmas.

Then I texted Maddie and a few new friends that I had made through Grayson. I got some replies pretty quickly, including one from Madison.

Merry Xmas girly! Sending all my love to the Simmons family xoxo

I sent some kissy faces in reply. As soon as I sent that message, I got a reply from Grayson.

Merry Christmas B :) xx

After Grayson and I exchanged a few messages I got up and ready for the day. After I was showered, dressed and made up, I put on my new necklace and I headed to my parents room, where I found them sitting up in bed, each with a cup of tea in their hands.

'Merry Christmas!' I called into their room. I ran over to my mum's side of the bed and kissed her on the cheek, before doing the same for my dad. 

'Merry Christmas darling.' They replied. 'The family is coming over at 11 by the way.'

'Okay' I said as I walked out the room. 'I'm going to take Bertie on a walk.'

I walked down the stairs to find Bertie sitting at the bottom, wagging his tail. Obviously he heard me say the 'W' word.

'Morning Bertie.' I said to him. 'Merry Christmas.' I gave him a quick belly rub before grabbing a coat and his lead. 'You can say it back, Bertie, I won't tell anyone.' I was always trying to get Bertie to speak to me. I realised how weird I sounded and walked out the front door.

It was a cold day but I loved taking Bertie on a walk, whatever the weather. We passed a few other people walking their dogs. I wished them all a Merry Christmas. After about twenty minutes I found myself on Maddie's road. I decided to ring her, to see if she wanted to see me for a few minutes.

After a few rings, she picked up the phone.

'Hey girl.' She said excitedly. 'What's up?'

'I'm walking Bertie right now but I'm on your road so do you want to come out and see me for a minute? We could have a catch up.' I asked. I knew she would say yes so I might as well have knocked on her door.

'Of course!' She said. 'We've got so much to catch up on. Give me two minutes, see you outside my house, yeah?' 

'Okay, see you in a minute.' I said before hanging up the phone and heading to Madison's house. By the time I got there, Maddie was leaving her house in her big puffy coat.

'Hey!' She ran over to me and gave me a massive hug. 'Merry Christmas Billie!'

'Merry Christmas Mads.' I said as I hugged her back.

We ended up just sitting on the wall outside her house, letting Bertie sniff around the lampposts and plants.

'So, how's it going with Ben?' I said in a teasing voice while nudging her with my elbow. 

'Oh my god! He dropped the L-bomb last week!' She squealed. 'And I said it back.' I squealed along with her.

'I'm so happy for you!' I said to her.

'Thank you.' She said. 'And for Christmas he got me tickets to see Bradley fucking Jones.' 

'No way!' I screamed. I knew that Bradley Jones was Madison's favourite singer ever, so I was really excited for her.