=PROLOGUE: PLAYBOOK=

Being friends with Betty had its ups and downs, Vanessa could very well consider this certain investigation one of the downs. The group of five strolled through the dark halls, using only flashlights to see.

"I don't see why I have to be here." Vanessa pouted and Betty gave a quick, annoyed glance to her.

"You're dating the one goon, remember?" Kevin reminded. That just made the girl roll her eyes. 

After reaching the hallway with the locker rooms Veronica broke the silence by saying, "Football players behaving badly, what else is new? Steubenville, Glen Ridge. The coach's son being the ringleader. I mean, just how depraved is this town?"

Just then Cheryl's shrill voice caused them all to jump. "Color me impressed. A B and E with B and V. What would your holy roller mother say about this, Betty?"

"What are you doing here, Cheryl?" Betty asked snappily.

"And where did you get those thigh-high boots? They're amazing." Vanessa hit the Keller boy's upper arm while Betty gave him a glance of annoyance, similar to the one from earlier. 

Cheryl walked towards the group, now of four seeing as Ethel was already in the locker room.

"Trev told Valerie, who told Josie, who told Ginger, who told Tina, who told me. And I thought I would help out." 

Vanessa mentally scoffed at the idea of Cheryl Blossom doing anything for anyone but herself.

"Help? Or derail our investigation?" 

Cheryl shined her flashlight in Betty's eyes at the remark.

"Get over yourself, Betty."

"Hey guys, get in here," Ethel called out and Vanessa reluctantly followed after Veronica. "Trev was right. They didn't even bother to hide it."

"Okay, for the record I don't want to see everyone my brother has hooked up with," Vanessa said before shining her light on the book, taking in all the names. Especially the ones next to Reggie's, only breaking her heart more with each name.

"New girl? Is that what I'm reduced to? Nine points?" Veronica sounded more hurt by her social status rather than being used.

"Better than 'Big girl.' Seven point five," Ethel said.

Vanessa was hardly listening as she backed away from the book, leaning her back against the cool, metal lockers.

Her name was next to Reggie Mantle's, her boyfriend of five months. "Committed to that ass" was written next to her name along with "+9". Not once had her or Reggie even talked about sex, but here she was seeing her name written as if she was a trophy. Her phone dinged and she hesitantly pulled it out.

Chuck 😎:

Mom is wondering where you are, said Reggie was here for you.

Instead of replying with a smart ass comment like she normally would she just pulled her jacket over her shoulders and left. She mumbled an excuse to Kevin as she walked out and her feet slapped down on the ground as she hurried home.

She walked in to her home immediately faced with a worried Reggie. He rushed up to her, snaking his hands around her waist. She immediately pushed him off and he frowned at her.

"Baby, what's wrong?" 

Instead of responding she walked up her stairs, but unexpectedly went to Chuck's room. Of course Reggie followed, still determined to find out the root of his girlfriend's anger, not knowing it was him.

"Care to explain why I'm in some gender degrading playbook you and your friends have?" She asked the two football players loudly, but not loud enough to not disturb her parents.

"Nessa, it's all fun in games," Chuck said nonchalantly, standing up to comfort his sister. She gave him a pointed look and he made no further efforts.

"Yeah, fun in games until you're slut shaming your sister. And really Reginald? 'Committed to that ass'?"

"Vanessa, baby, don't be like that."

"No, Reginald. We are done, get out of my house." Reggie reluctantly left as Vanessa turned to her brother. "As for you, we are no longer on speaking terms."

Vanessa retired herself to her room, only her silent cries keeping her from sleeping.