=CHAPTER 16: SISTERS OF QUIET CONVERSION=

A couple days later, Vanessa sat on stage with Reggie for the Student Council Elections public questioning. Vanessa's black eye was gone, not that it would be that noticeable from on the stage. Alice Cooper was the mediator and she tapped the mic, getting ready to speak.

"Okay, now just a quick reminder, that this this school hall is a PTA sponsored event," Alice smiled at the crowd. "Oh, looks like we have our first question," Alice pointed off into the crowd to Sweet Pea.

"Yeah, no offense to the, uh, current administration," Sweet Pea said. "but it doesn't feel like anyone's looking out for the students who are being bussed in from the Southside. Is that gonna change?"

"Absolutely, Sweet Pea, that's our priority," Jughead answered. Sweet Pea rolled his eyes at Jughead's answer. "And no one should feel marginalized or excluded here," Betty was about to continue, but Vanessa cut in.

"Although I agree with Jughead and Betty that no one should feel excluded," Vanessa smiled at Sweet Pea. "we haven't done a very good job of showing that. Reggie did have some rough patches with the Southside students, but we are looking to fix any altercations and mistakes that were made," Vanessa smiled at the crowd before turning to smirk at Betty.

"Next question," Alice said, looking through the crowd. "Yes, Midge?" Midge stood up, smoothing her clothes.

"My question is for Archie and Veronica," Midge told the couple and they looked at each other proudly. "Rumor has it that your parents will soon be on opposite sides of the Mayoral election, won't that negatively effect your working relationship?"

"Archie and I adhere to the old maxim that 'politics are never discussed' at the dinner or cafeteria table," Veronica said, earning some laughs.

"Veronica and I are on the same page about everything," Archie told the crowd. "including her family's plans for a prison on the Southside," Several 'boo's were heard.

Vanessa leaned to whisper in Reggie's ear, "Wrong move. Checkmate."

"In the meantime, however, we're committed to improving the quality of life at Riverdale High, which means more extracurriculars-"

"Reggie and I agree," Vanessa cut Veronica off. "Except, add the fact that we can and will deliver results."

"And we're chill, unlike these guys, who gave Nessa a black eye," Reggie said and Vanessa's hand ghosted over where the bruise once was to add effect. The crowd gave out some pity 'aw's and gasps while Vanessa suppressed a smirk.

A few minutes later a Serpent meeting was called. Vanessa stepped into the classroom read to hear Sweet Pea go off.

"You promised us a war," Sweet Pea started. "Then you're on stage like Buddy Holly, sucking up to the Northside? Now, Vanessa has an excuse, she grew up on this side, but you, Jug? What happened to protecting to Southside?"

"We need those votes Sweet Pea," Jughead told the tall Serpent boy. "It's the only way we can affect any change. Whoever's elected gets a seat on the School Board. That means we're on the inside, that means they can't silence us."

"Your and the Northside princess you mean?" Fangs asked rhetorically and Vanessa chuckled. "Why not just let Vanessa and Reggie win? I mean, sure, we don't like him, but at least it gets your plan done without having you look crazy."

"Wait, is that why you guys are pissed?" Jughead asked the group referring to Fangs' first question. "Betty's on our side!"

"Yeah," Betty said. "I've helped the Serpents-"

"But your mom would never endorse your campaign," Vanessa said plainly. "She's the biggest Serpent heckler and hypocrite. Reggie and I have the means to keep the voters happy. So who's voting Mantle-Clayton?"