=CHAPTER 10: CONFESSIONS=

Two weeks later school started back up and Vanessa, Kevin, and Betty sat in the student lounge. Betty was laughing at something Vanessa had just said while Kevin read a book. The three looked up when they saw Archie coming in kissing Veronica. Vanessa's eyebrows furrowed as she looked at Betty for any sign of hurt but she seemed fine. Then the speakers made the sound that let the students know there was an announcement.

"Students of Riverdale High," Principal Weatherbee's voice cut through the PA system, "this is your principal speaking. E-mails have been sent to your parents, but effective immediately, Southside High School is shut down." Most students gasped but a smile grew on Vanessa's face. "And its students will be transferred to other schools in the district, including this one. I believe the statement we're releasing will address your concerns and theirs. You should be receiving it shortly. I'm sure you have many questions. But it goes without saying, we are welcoming these students with open minds, hearts and arms. Thank you. That is all."

"Wait, what does that. . . What does that mean?" Archie stuttered.

"It means. . ." Vanessa trailed off looking at Betty.

"Jughead is coming back," Betty finished.

"Betty, are you ready for that?" Kevin asked.

"Of course." Everyone gave her skeptical looks so she continued. "We're fine."

"But why is this happening now?" Archie seemed so confused and Vanessa held back a laugh at the furrow in his brow.

"Who knows," Veronica answered. "It's probably some bizarre, Byzantine town ordinance we couldn't possibly understand. And in the meantime, let's receive these exiles as if they were our own flesh and blood. Who's in? Hmm?"

"I am." Vanessa stood, looping her arm through Veronica's. "Especially since these are my friends and I know their preferences." 

She smiled at the girl next to her and she smiled back.

=+=+=+=

The next day Vanessa, Kevin, and Archie were stood next to Veronica, who shuffled through papers.

"Need any help?" Vanessa asked and Veronica shook her head. 

Vanessa's eyes caught the crowd of leather wearing Serpents and a smile spread across her face.

"Hey, there, hooligans." Vanessa stepped in front of the table and hugged Toni. "What's the first impression?" she asked Sweet Pea and Fangs.

"Preppy," they replied at the same time and Vanessa chuckled and Veronica cleared her throat.

"Oh, I almost forgot." She stepped next to Veronica. "A Veronica Lodge introduction." 

Veronica rolled her eyes before she began to speak.

"On behalf of the students and faculty here at Riverdale High, welcome to your new school!" Veronica started. "To ease this transition, I've set up a registration desk where you can get your locker assignments, class schedules, and a list of sports and extra curriculars. We encourage each and every one of you to drink deeply from the cup that is fair Riverdale." 

Vanessa gave a mocking clap before her attention was turned to the group of Bulldogs and River Vixens who were marching down the stairs, Cheryl Blossom and Reggie Mantle leading. Her jaw clenched at the sight of her ex, who she thought was trying to win her back, leading a group of protesters.

"Stand down, Eva Peron!" Cheryl shouted.

"There's the school spirit I so fondly remember," Jughead said sarcastically.