=CHAPTER 20: FINAL GOODBYE=

Vanessa woke up in a hospital bed, her phone on the night stand next to her. She picked it up and saw a few missed calls and texts from Reggie.

She listened to his voicemail, "Hey, I know you're scared and confused right now. I don't know if you saw me with the gun, but I didn't shoot you or Fangs. Someone did. Not me. I know your Serpents think I did it and I'm really fucking terrified right now. I'm gonna hide out at Pop's, if you can meet me there," Vanessa immediately sprang into action upon hearing his shaky voice. She snuck out the window, not wanting to deal with the nurses. Her clothes were still bloody from the gun shot wound that was now wrapped, but she didn't care. She hotwired Jughead's familiar bike and sped off to Pop's.

She could see Reggie's head in his hands from the window. She rushed inside, sitting next to him, taking his hand in hers. She kissed all of his knuckles and hugged his trembling figure.

"I didn't shoot you or Fangs," He whispered uneasily.

"I know, baby. I know," Vanessa whispered back.

"How do you know?" He asked, uncertain.

"Because you made a promise, and besides you're a giant teddy bear," He smiled at her.

"You're too good for me," He stated and it was Vanessa's turn to smile. They shared a chaste kiss before Archie, Moose, and Kevin came into the diner, forcing Vanessa to sit on Reggie's lap.

"Reggie, why are you at Pop's?" Archie asked once settled in.

"I didn't know where else to go. Mr. Lodge left me hanging," His breaths were becoming shaking again and Vanessa squeezed his thigh.

"Vanessa, why aren't you in the hospital?" Moose whispered as Archie and Reggie continued to talk.

"Well, they already removed the bullet and this one was scaring the shit out of me," She motioned to Reggie. "so I came here for him," Vanessa smiled sweetly and Moose returned it.

"You're a good girlfriend," Moose said sincerely.

"Most the time," Vanessa added.

"Most the time," Moose agreed.

"Guys?" Kevin interrupted. "Outside."

Reggie looked through the blinds, "Serpents! They're coming for me."

Vanessa rolled her eyes, "Don't flatter yourself."

Archie pulled his phone out, "Jughead, where the hell are you guys?. . . Well, if the Serpents are with you, then who the hell is out here at Pop's?"

Vanessa took it upon herself to look out the window, "Oh, shit. It looks like the Ghoulies are back in town."

Archie, Kevin, and Moose immediately sprung into action. Kevin and Moose pushed the jukebox against the entrance. Vanessa slipped off of Reggie's lap, but he didn't seem to notice as he freaked out more than before.

Archie gathered them together, "Damnit! Nobody's answering at the Sheriff's station. Looks like we're on our own."

"Yeah, and we should be fine," Vanessa chimed in. "as long as everybody-" She was cut off by glass shattering. "Everybody get away from the windows!" She screamed. Reggie went to grab her by the shoulder, but stopped when she winced. She didn't look at him and dove behind the counter with Archie.

"Do you have a gun in here, Pop?" Archie asked and Vanessa cautiously nurtured her wound that Reggie disturbed.

"No," Pop responded. "Had my fill of gunfire back in the war. But I learned a trick in the riots of '79. I have Mr. Lodge's leftover liquor from that poker night. And if you can get to the roof through the crawlspace-"