=CHAPTER 12: MENDING=

A few days later at school, Vanessa sat in lounge with all her friends. Reggie was with the Bulldogs getting some Pop's during their free period. He promised he'd bring Vanessa a milkshake. Veronica began talking about her confirmation, telling them who was invited.

"I already invited Archie, but I want you guys to be there as well," she said with a smile on her face. "Usually these kinds of events - baptisms, confirmations - are family-only, but since it's all about me and you guys are my chosen family, I pulled a few strings and reserved you a pew."

"Sounds great, Ronnie." Vanessa smiled from next to Kevin. "I'll be there."

"What is the dress code?" Kevin asked.

"Catholic chic. So, dresses for the girls, veils optional. And coats and ties for the boys." 

The PA system turned on and Weatherbee's voice rang through the lounge and hallways.

"Jughead Jones and Betty Cooper, please report to the principal's office." Jughead and Betty looked at each other with confusion. "Jughead Jones and Betty Cooper, please report to the principal's office." 

The two got up and left.

=+=+=+=

Toni 🌈:

Serpent meeting at the Whyte Wyrm. Now.

When Vanessa got that text she rushed off on her motorcycle to the Wyrm. She got there and FP was just getting on stage. She pushed through the crowd to Toni, Sweet Pea, Fangs, and Jughead.

"Hey, sorry I'm a little late," Vanessa apologized.

"No worries. He hasn't started yet," Toni said and Vanessa gave an exasperated smile.

"We all got the eviction notices," FP spoke and Vanessa turned all her attention towards him. "But I swear to you. . . No one is goin' anywhere. But the heat has been on us since Pickens Day and they are using that damn statue as an excuse to turn it up. But if we're gonna fix this, I gotta ask: Is anyone in this room responsible for cutting off Pickens' head?"

"Why don't you ask your son," Tall Boy's thick, raspy voice cut through the bar and all eyes turned to him, "what he has to say?"

"What is your problem with me, Tall Boy?" Jughead snapped.

"You wrote the article that started this mess," he countered. "You and your posse." 

Vanessa stood up and was about to step towards the adult, but Fangs and Sweet Pea held her back, standing next to her. 

"You fired the opening shot at Pickens Day." Tall Boy scowled.

"It was a peaceful protest, Turncoat," Toni spat.

"That accomplished nothing. So what's to say that you and your boyfriend didn't go back that night with a ladder and hacksaw," Tall Boy taunted.

"When will you learn to shut your mouth, Metallica tribute band wannabe?" Vanessa hissed.

"Hey!" Something in Jughead snapped as he stepped in front of the older Serpent, his friends following. "We didn't do it. Hell, Tall Boy, you're the tallest guy in this room. You wouldn't even need a ladder." 

FP grabbed Jughead's shirt. "Jughead. . . Tall Boy," he said to the two rage filled Serpents. "The last thing we need right now is to turn on each other." He pushed on Jughead's chest to get his attention. "Hey. . . We'll find a way out of this." 

He let go of his grip on his son, pushing him back.

Vanessa pulled on Jughead's arm. "Come on, he isn't worth anymore of your energy."