=CHAPTER 7: SINNERS=

Vanessa woke up to a cold spot next to her. She sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, and looked around. She heard some clinking of dishes and Reggie appeared in the doorway. He held a tray with breakfast for two. Vanessa smiled as he set the tray on the bed, Reggie kissing her.

"What's all this?" Vanessa asked in an intrigued voice.

"Breakfast in bed," Reggie responded casually. Then Reggie frowned and he said nothing but pulled out the newspaper. Vanessa read the latest letter from the Black Hood.

"Well." Vanessa looked up at Reggie. "Guess who you're stuck with for forty-eight hours?"

"How do you manage to make a bad thing even worse?" Reggie asked as Vanessa feigned hurt.

"I want to make sure you're not being stupid," Vanessa explained and Reggie nodded.

"Fair enough."

=+=+=+=

The next night, after a long day of dragging Reggie around with her, the couple sat in a booth at Pop's.

"I don't understand why you won't share a milkshake with me." Vanessa eyed Reggie's glass hatefully. "I mean, we order the exact same thing."

"You know how much I like my milkshakes," Reggie said and Vanessa rolled her eyes.

"Apparently more than you like me," Vanessa mumbled.

"What?" Reggie asked.

"What?" Vanessa teased. 

Just then Vanessa's brother, Chuck, walked in with Josie McCoy. Vanessa furrowed her eyebrows and Reggie followed her gaze.

"Huh, something I never thought I'd see," Reggie said, picking up a large amount of fries and shoving them in his mouth.

"That was really hot, Reg. Mind doing it again?" Vanessa asked sarcastically.

"No problem," Reggie then repeated his previous action, making Vanessa roll her eyes. He leaned forward trying to kiss her with his mouth full of food. She began throwing fries at him, giggling.

A few minutes later "Sweet Little Sixteen" by Chuck Berry was playing. Vanessa watched her brother stand from the booth and offer his hand to Josie. She took it and soon they were dancing to the 1958 song. Vanessa smiled seeing her brother happy.

"What are you smiling about?" Reggie asked.

"Look at him." Vanessa gestured to her brother and Reggie turned his head towards the two. "He looks happy. I haven't seen him like that in a while."

"You also didn't speak to him for a year." 

She gave him that 'Really?' look.

"You don't have much room to talk," she said and Reggie grabbed her hand from across the table.

"Well, I have you now." He squeezed her hand. "Serpent or not, I love you."

"I love you too." She leaned forward and right as their lips were about to meet Mayor McCoy stormed in.

"Josie!" she snapped. "You're a damned fool."

"Mom, what are you doing here?" Josie asked genuinely confused. Vanessa and Reggie just watched awkwardly.

"Check your phone, young lady," McCoy shouted. "I've been texting you for hours. And you're in here doing the twist."

"Mom, relax."

"Mayor McCoy," Chuck cut in nervously. "I was just about to give Josie a ride home."

"You?" Mayor McCoy said distastefully. Vanessa stood up and was about to go over there when Reggie pulled her down next to him. "I don't want you within ten feet of my daughter!"