=CHAPTER 1: ANGEL OF DEATH=

A year or so later Vanessa had become background noise, just a faint whisper. She really only hung with the "core four" and others because of Reggie and Chuck. She was a sort of a loner now, but a mysterious one nonetheless. She stuck by her word and hadn't talked to Chuck since that fateful day.

She currently sat in her room typing an essay on the French Revolution. A soft knock sounded at her open bedroom door. She turned to see Chuck leaning in the doorway.

"Okay, so I know that I do this everyday, but I'm trying to get you to not hate me," Chuck pleaded and Vanessa let out an exasperated sigh.

"I don't hate you, never did," Vanessa said her first words to him in over a year. Chuck looked up quickly, not believing she actually spoke to him. "I'm sorry for the silent treatment, I was being a bitch."

"I should be the one apologizing. I let my friends, your own boyfriend, degrade you for a stupid game." Chuck sat on his sister's bed and Vanessa made her way to sit beside him.

"But it was silly of me to ignore you for a year." Vanessa smiled and Chuck just sat quietly. "I'm going to go take a walk, if I stop by Pop's I'll text you." 

Chuck nodded and Vanessa walked down to the house's front door. She slipped on her jean jacket over her white tube top. She made sure her phone was in her back pocket and slipped out of the house.

While on her walk a car almost came crashing into her before it swerved down the road. She immediately recognized Fred Andrews' car and saw a bloodied handprint on the window.

"Oh, Archie, what happened?" she whispered to herself as she sprinted towards the hospital, where she could only assume the car was going. She had made it there as Betty was pulling in with her family. Betty gave her a funny glance but Vanessa rushed through the doors. She saw Veronica and quickened her pace toward the raven haired girl. 

"Do you know what happened?" she asked breathlessly.

"Um, yeah. Archie called Betty, who called me. She said Archie's dad got shot at Pop's." 

Vanessa's eyes widened as she rushed out of the hospital she just got to. She ran into Jughead on her way out and the boy gave her a hug that was very much needed.

"Hey, Jug. How'd you get here?" she asked knowing he didn't have a car.

"I used my dad's bike," he said monotone.

"Can I borrow it?" He gave her a strange look. "I need to talk to Justin, to the Serpents."

"You and Justin have gotten awfully close." Jughead eyed her expression curiously.

"We're just friends, the bike?" He tossed her the keys and she bolted out the hospital, hopping on the Serpent King's bike.

She raced to the Whyte Wyrm and hopped off the bike as she calmed herself to a steady walking pace. She immediately went to the bar, downed a shot of whatever, and searched the Wyrm for Justin Laboy. Justin stood at the pool table lining up his winning shot, and of course sunk the eight ball. As he collected the money he spotted Vanessa smiling at him and he made his way over.

"Hey, Clayton," he said with a smirk. His serpent jacket hung on his shoulders, a nice, tight fit. 

Vanessa smiled at him. "Nice shot over there, Freckles."

"I would roll my eyes, but I think too highly of myself."

"Great, then I'll do it for you." Vanessa proceeded to roll her eyes as Justin let out a small laugh.

"You're adorable." Justin wrapped his arms around her small waist.

"So I've been told." She laughed and wrapped her arms around his neck, placing a kiss on his lips. "Jughead's getting suspicious about us."