Chapter 16: Sushi

I sighed, my cheek pressed against my palm, supporting my head. I stared at the squealing woman, rummaging through the closet.

"Oh, this will be good! No, wait, that too!" she tossed pieces of clothing to the poor helpers who got covered in cloths from head to toe.

Aunt Yukari decided to pull me out of the house to do a photo shoot. I tried my hardest to run, but her menacing face compelled me. Mother just smiled sympathetically and whispered apologies.

A woman in a dark uniform ushered me to the fitting room. She forced me into lacy undergarments and a frilly blue dress with pearls at the bottom. I sat in front of a mirror as they did a makeover. A hairstylist curled my wavy hair and tied a portion of the hair into a french braid crown. They powdered my cheeks rosy and applied a pink gloss on my lips.

I stared wide-eyed at the cameraman as everyone gushed over me.

"Fantastic! You all did an excellent job!" Aunt Yukari praised, showing two thumbs up.

They surrounded me with blue and white flowers. I sat on a white chair with a bouquet of blue roses on my lap.

I forced a smile, concealing my anxiety. The camera flashed continuously, blinding my eyes.

They were not done with me yet.

After the frilly blue dress, they changed from a white gown to a flowery red kimono. I was dead tired from all the fittings. My eyes ached from the camera flashes.

Aunt Yukari paid them for the photoshoots, including the clothes! I wanted to pass out there. They allowed me to keep the kimono, which I cried.

The wooden sandals killed my feet, and the kimono restricted my leg movements. I have to walk with my feet closed to each other, taking small steps.

"Kya! Chi-chan, you look so irresistibly adorable in these pictures!" Aunt Yukari looked through each photo, smiling ear to ear.

"Aunt Yukari, why must I be so dressed up?" I questioned.

"Ara, Chi-chan, you must have childhood memories before you become an old lady like me," Aunt Yukari grinned. "You are like a daughter to me, so don't worry about the clothes. Think of it as a birthday gift."

I sighed, pulling my kimono up to keep up with her. I wonder how Aunt Yukari moved in her kimono so gracefully. I looked like a waddling penguin compared to her.

Currently, we were wandering around Namimori's shopping district. Aunt Yukari bought some groceries as she chatted with stall owners.

Halfway, my stomach grumbled. Hunger pangs hit me as I looked around for maybe a snack.

I went up to Aunt Yukari and pulled on her kimono.

"Hm? What's wrong, Chi-chan?"

"I am hungry..."

I twiddled with my thumbs. I did not dare to ask money as it's impolite to take from elders.

"Ah, then let's eat sushi!" she brightened up and pulled me along. Then we stood in front of a traditional sushi restaurant. I took a second glance at the name sign.

'TakeSushi'

Before I could say anything, Aunt Yukari dragged me inside.

"Welcome!"

The owner of the restaurant, Yamamoto Tsuyoshi, greeted us. He looked so much like the older Yamamoto Takeshi.

"May I get the salmon and tuna, Tsuyoshi-kun," Aunt Yukari gave her signature smile as we sat down at the sushi bar.