Chapter 14 (Edited)

I looked at myself in mirror. My makeup was light with pink gloss. My hair were in a traditional low bun. I was wearing a red silk saree which had golden floral embroidery on the boarders. The blouse was of plain red silk. I was ready for the reception. Zake's parents wanted to host a gathering in honour of our marriage. It was a way for them to announce our marriage officially and introduce me to their social circle.

"You ready?" He asked from behind with a bag in his hand.

He took something out of the bag. They were gajre. "Flowers for your hair." He said sheepishly.

"May I?" He asked.

I nodded and it took some time but he adjusted them around my bun nicely. "That's why you asked me to do my hair in a bun."

"Yes. Now your hand." I laid my hands out for him and he glided the rose gajre on my wrist.

"How did you?" I asked him.

"You remember making me watch a urdu drama. In which a heroine was wearing these and when I looked at your dress. They just came in my mind and I asked someone to make them especially." He rambled on.

I took a black tie and he took a seat on sofa and I sat beside him. I glided the tie around collar and knotted it. He was wearing a blank pant coat with black and white stripped check shirt.

Taking his hand, we walked out of the out of the house into the car. Last night Zakariya came late in room after our argument. I slept waiting for him and thinking. In the morning at breakfast he informed me about the reception before he went to office. He just came home a hour ago. When I was getting ready. He didn't say much took his clothes and went to another room to change. We didn't talk about our argument and steered away from the subject. I kept thinking about it last night and every time in this morning to evening when I was free.

A part of me could understand that why Zake was so adamant at me to stop looking further but it felt like there was something else too. He was scared but of what. I knew I couldn't stop. I needed to look. I needed to know.

In no time we reached the venue. Zakariya gave the keys the valet and steered me in with a hand on my waist. The reception was held in their manor. The ground were large enough to hold such gathering. There were round tables and waiters going around with champagne glasses and snacks.

"Oh there you are." Zake's mother Mary came toward us. Zake was very much like his mother with blond hair and blue eyes but his other features were from his father. She was a tall women dressed in gold gown and I always felt short in her comparison. Tallness was a trait that was encoded in gene of each of the Adam's.

"Salam mother." He hugged her with his hand still on my waist. She kissed both of his cheek in all motherly way.

She then turned to me. "Red suits you well." She pulled me in a hug kissing both of cheek.

"Come on both of you. You are already late." She pulled us to the centre where his father Mr. Adam was standing. He looked the same as I remember with strong jaw, honey coloured eyes and mostly white hair but with some black.

"Hi Dad." Zakariya greeted his father. His father was not very accepting of his religion so Zake tried not rub in his face.

"Son." He greeted him back with a warm smile and a pat on shoulder.

"Good to see you too Noor." I took his outstretched hand.

"How are you doing?" He asked politely.

"Fine Mr Adam. How about you?"  I asked back. "Good. Don't be too formal Noor. We are a family after all." I was expecting a bit of reservation from him but he didn't gave me any of it.