Chapter 25 (Edited)

As the door opened. I inhale the stale and pungent odour of the smoke. He turned on the lights. I found the ashtray filled with cigarettes and there were also some cigarettes littered here and there on the floor.

As I inhaled more. The nausea built in me and I tried to settle it down by taking deep breaths but it did the opposite as I inhaled more of it. The whole room was filled with the smell of cigarette that I felt like I could feel nothing but this smell. I tried to dull my senses to it but it didn't help. The nausea increased until I couldn't control it. I found myself running to washroom and vomiting my guts in the toilet leaving my stomach completely empty of little that I ate.

Zakariya must have followed him as I felt his soothing touch moving up and down back. His other hand was busy in working his fingers through my hair.

"Open the windows. I can't handle the smell."

I found myself near the wash basin. Throwing water on my face and after that brushing my teeths.

I got out and found the smell still lingering. "I am going to guest room. I can't sleep here."

I took some clothes with me to guest room. I changed into them before lying on the bed. An hour later. There was a knock on the door. Zakariya came with a tray of food. He placed it on side table before leaving.

I ate the food as much as I could and then laid down bed. I fell asleep in no time.

The next morning. I got down and prepared the breakfast. We both ate silently.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"To office."

"We have an appointment at doctor. We are to go there first and then I will drop you at work."

I looked up at those pleading eyes and nodded my head. I didn't say a word to him unless it was necessary and he was giving me space and time and I was preparing myself for time when his patience will run thin.

We reached the hospital. The nurse guided me to a room and asked me to lay down on a bed at side. Zakariya sat at the sofa in the corner of room.

Some time later. A doctor came in. She must have been late forties. Zakariya greeted her warmly.

"I was waiting for the day, you will come here with your wife."

He just smiled as she pinched his cheek.

"Did you tell your mother?"

"No." He replied.

"Well she has been pestering me to tell her whenever her dear son visit with his sweet wife."

She walked toward me with a kind smile plastered on her face. "How are you doing?"

"I am good."

"Well. I am Doctor Ivory. I am a friend of Mary. I will be your doctor from here after so if you have any question or qualms. Just come to me or call me. Now lets check. Shall we?"

She pulled my dress up bearing my belly. She placed the cold jell on it and started the ultrasound. She looked at the screen.

A shocked and pleasant expression took place on her face.

"Mary is going to flip. Congratulations you both are going to have twins."

We both looked at each other at same time. Now I noticed that he was tapping his foot relentlessly on the floor.

"Do you want to hear their heartbeats?"

We both nodded. My eyes again fell on the screen as I heard two heartbeats. Now it felt too real. Real that I was pregnant with his babies.