CHAPTER 11 - The Easy Way Out

The Easy Way Out

Three years ago

Panic filled his being, adrenaline coursed through his veins, his heartbeat played a different rhythm, one a little too fast to dance to. His mind raced through different thoughts and ideas as he himself raced through the hallways of his high school.

Hearing the news alone was enough to put him in shock, he couldn't possibly have believed what he had heard. He took it as though he didn't hear clearly.

His first thoughts were of things he possibly couldn't do again, places he possibly couldn't go again, the life he would have to journey through. All what he didn't want to do alone.

His brain replaying the statement over and over and over again in his mind, despite his efforts to not think about it. The fact that he was running, the reason why he was running, the air he struggled for while he ran all made it impossible to not think of it.

He stopped, panting for air, his lungs burning and begging for more oxygen, his heart beating faster than that of a race car driver. He placed his hands on both his knees, he turned, looked at the lady walking down the street with her dog, the other lady forcing her child back into the house from the lawn at the other end of the road.

The white broken lines lining the road. The road he knew without looking. He could tell where the tree was by the road, where the fire hydrant was mounted on the walkway, all with his eyes closed. He was on the route back home.

Home.

The thought of home brought memories back to him like a roasted turkey on a silver tray. He thought of it all,

of him.

It was all he could think of as he ran. Past memories dancing around his head, all memories of Him.

His legs gave in to his fatigue as he fell ass first on the ground. He simply sat not moving an inch, he looked forward, same route leading home as tears welled up in his eyes.

He picked up a small piece of stone and threw it forward. He clenched his fist, his jaw and he kept on a hard stare towards where the stone had landed. At that very moment his emotions could be felt radiating off him.

The anger,

The bitterness,

The pain,

The pain.

He let it all out in a pained growl, then a scream, a whimper and then sobbing as he cried out to his content.

Earlier on

The morning sun had kissed him awake. Slivers of light peeped through the drawn blinds, casting thin golden stripes across his face. He opened his eyes slowly and drowsily.

Lopped sidedly he smiled.

He stretched on his bed as he yawned, he pulled his blankets up to cover his neck, he felt cold and still wanted to sleep in.

He just stared at the window, listening to the birds chirp, focusing his senses on what he hear from outside his window.

He rolled to the end of his bed where his bedside table was. He picked up his glasses and then picked up his phone. He went through some notifications and replied a text from Henry. He was on his phone for a while until his mom came into his room.