CHAPTER 31 - My Heart Will Go On

My heart will go on.

The preparations for the dinner on Christmas Eve went by fast, and smooth. Christian has been out his his father Leonard who came back in late last night. Myles had felt uneasy at first meeting him, any boy would feel uneasy meeting the father of the person they dated.

But Leonard turned out great towards myles, Myles had learnt that Christian and his parent were a tight bunch, despite their always being apart. Myles had felt really relaxed when Christian father also insisted he referred to him on a first name basis.

The house felt and looked different, it had staffs coming in and out, decorating the place, and another set working in the kitchen.

"Do not forget to mix in the flour like I showed you to." Myles heard Beatrice shout from the hall as her footsteps got closer to the door.

"Christian!" Beatrice call out, opening the door as she spoke, "come help me some" she paused seeing only Myles present in the room. "Oh where is?"

"He went to fetch something with Leo, they'd be back soon, anything I could help with?"

"Oh it's nothing dear," she brushed him off.

"Here let me," She said as she walked towards him, helping him fix his suit.

"This seems like a normal thing here every Christmas?" He asked trying to make light conversations.

"Yes." She said sadly, Myles immediately picking up her change in appearance.

"What wrong?"

"When the boys were younger, Henry and Christian, they both came up with this," she laughed. "Christian had a crush on this girl and Henry being a good friend had to help out, so they got us into hosting, inviting the girls parents along."

"Oh, so it became a thing after that?"

She laughed again, remembering something, "yes, the next year, Henry kept it up and we always had it since then."

"Are you okay? Talking about him that is?" Myles asked, feeling like he was pushing his boundaries.

"It's fine. The Christmas brings us all together but the memories are still there." She assured him smilingly.

"All done." She patted his tux just as Christian came into the room.

"I'll let him do this," she whispered tugging on the tie around his neck before practically tuning out the room, not forgetting to kiss her son on the cheeks.

"Allow me," Christian slapped his hand out of the way when he noticed Myles was fumbling with the tie.

"Your mom seems cool," Myles commented immediately Beatrice disappeared behind the door.

"Yea, she is, when she's not working and actually focusing on her family, don't get me wrong, she love my dad and I, but sometimes I just wished they didn't get to travel a lot for work." Christian said as he knotted the tie, sighing defeatedly.

"Hey, our parents have to do a lot for us," Myles cupped his face, planting a kiss on his lips.

"Let's head out, I'm on welcoming guest duty." Christian stated, pulling Myles away from the mirror and towards the door.