nine.

✼✱✯✩✥✫✯✬✰✬✰✵✦✬✻

"Stanley! What the hell, why didn't you call me sooner?" Esme asked in a panic as she saw the bruise that was now a dark purple on his eye.

"It's nothing, Esme." he said while grabbing her hands to remove from his face softly. Esme sighed as she called down, knowing coming in yelling at him would make things worse.

"Doesn't look like nothing, I mean what even happened?" she asked calmly while bringing her hands back to his face and looking at the bruise.

"Can we not talk about it?" he asked her as she nodded her head, staying where she was with her hands on his face.

Stan thought Esme was properly beautiful, he always thought that. He felt something with her, something he didn't feel with anyone else. In a way I guess you'd say he liked her, in a way that is. And maybe he enjoyed the way she looked at him and how she'd always take his side, but he knew she was more than that. He knew she wasn't just gonna be someone he'd bond with and then all of a sudden be with forever, but it doesn't hurt to hope.

"Esme, I have to tell you something." he said suddenly as her hands dropped from his face and gave him a look.

"What is it? Rip the bandaid off." she said while squeezing her eyes shut, expecting some horrible sentence to come out.

"I think your eyes are the most beautiful pair i've ever seen in my years of existence." he said as Esme slowly opened her eyes while her face burned.

"Really?" she asked with a soft look, almost as if she had just seen a puppy cuddle a monkey.

Truth was no one has ever called Esmes eyes beautiful, absolutely no one. Sure on the occasion she'd get the 'oh that's so cool' or a 'you've got a nice eye color' but never a full on beautiful. People shamed her for her eyes being so different, they often made fun of her for it. But Stan didn't, Stan though they were beautiful and he loved them more than he'd ever loved anyone else's eyes before.

"Yeah." he answered back softly with a smile while taking a step closer as his eyes scanned her for any regret or clue that she wanted to back up. But she didn't.

"I ugh- I could come back." Syds voice said as she entered the bowling alley, making the two look away awkwardly as Esme quickly went to sit on the chairs.

"Sorry, we're closed." Stan said to her while he began to move bowling balls again.

"I was hoping you'd make a exception?" Syd asked as she toyed with her fingers.

"That depends, are you a good bowler?" he asked jokingly as Esme cracked a grin, keeping her mouth shut so they could have their moment.

"No." she answered honestly.

"Then what are you doing here?" Stan asked her with a hint of annoyance, but in a way Esme couldn't blame him.

"Gotta, try to make the lasagna." she said with a laugh as Esme raised a eyebrows in confusion.

"That sounds vaguely sexual." Stan pointed out as Esme nodded with a single laugh and a small smirk forming on her face as she looked away.

"No, it's not. Thought maybe I could hear some of your guys dumb theories?" Syd asked as Stan looked back at Esme who let a large grin form on her face.

"Look as us! Getting the band back together!" Esme laughed while shooting up and pulling the two into a hug.

"When you said research, I thought you meant research." Syd explained as Stan dropped multiple comic books infont of her.

"I dig your choice of words, Sydney that goes by Syd. I dig it." Esme nodded while throwing a arm around her.

"Okay so the people that wrote these thing, do you think they just came up with these characters and their powers out of thin air?" Stan asked while using his hands to talk.

"Yes." Syd said as Esme made a buzzer noise with her mouth, "Wrong!"

"Or-Or is it possible that they researched carefully and grounded these superhero abilities in modern science?" Stan asked her with a higher tone indicating that was the right answer.

"No, it's not possible at all." Sue explained as Esme groaned and rolled her-eyes.

"You say everything's not possible, Syd. The zombies are possible and so is this, and if you haven't noticed people aren't supposed to have superpowers but look at you! Super hero powers!" Esme explained while waving her arms and ending with jazz hands.

"Okay maybe you're right, the people that wrote these were probably eating acid like candy but the point is they know super powers. Okay, so each of these comments features a unknown visitor , professor, wise old age, some form of a mentor figure you know who visits the hero and explains their ability's and the matgologyh behind them." Stan began to go on as Syd frowned her eyebrows, tuning out Esmes obnoxiously taping of her foot.

"What's your point?" the redhead girl asked with her arms crossed over her chest.

"As anyone like this ever visited you?" Stan asked her as both his eyebrow rose, Syd simply stared at him as if he was insane.

"Okay totally fine, maybe me and Esme will just be your mentor figure." the taller boy said as Esme gasped dramatic.

"Yes, I agree, i'm here for this. Yes!" the explained as the two high fived then looked to Syd again.

"Okay so have you experienced any of the following?" Esme asked in a deep voice to show she meant business only getting a laugh from Syd as she leaned into her eyebrow.

"Spider bite?"

"No."

"Radioactive goo?"

"No."

"Alien jem stones?"

"No."

"Secret military experience?"

"No."

"Biotic limb transplant?"

"What?" Syd asked him as Stan sighed and dropped the books while looking to Esme who shrugged and looked back to Syd.

"Okay what about your parents?"

"What about them?"

"Well sometimes a person inherits their ability's."

"The only think I inherited was pasty skin and my bubbly personality." Syd said sarcastically as she faked a smile making Esme giggle before throwing one of the skittles, she'd gotten up to grab at Syds face.

"And the thigh zits." Stan added in as Syd gave him a annoyed look, ignoring Esme loud laughed as she fell onto the floor as if she was making a snow angle.

"Oh, too soon, I thought those were fair game." Stan said with a giggle.

"God this is a waste of time." Syd said while standing up and stepping over Esmes body.

"Alright look! Look, okay okay. I'm the first to call out how shitty this town is, and my life? It ain't great, Syd." Stan explained as he jumped up to stand infront of her.

"Yeah I noticed." Syd said while looking at his eye making Esme frown and roll over to look over at them.

"Okay, but you have something special and you're here right now because you want to try and understand it and that's a big first step. And I think this because I am your mentor figure." Stan said as it fell silent before Esme cleared her throat.

"Yeah, yeah what he said." she nodded while pointing to Stan with a nod as she pulled herself off the floor and walked over to the duo.

"Okay Mr and Mrs, so tell me what's the second step?" Syd asked as Stan and Esme shared a excited look before looking back at her.

✼✱✯✩✥✫✯✬✰✬✰✵✦✬✻

stan calling esmes insecurities beautiful>>