THIRTY-NINE

Sade: The Sweetest Taboo

*Harry's P.O.V.*

As soon as I saw her go into the airport I parked a bit farther down and opened her letter. Even though she asked me not to read it in front of her, it was a special thing for her to want to bare her soul to me so openly. I could not imagine her not going to that party because I simply cannot remember what life without her was like, but it must've been boring and very loveless. Her new found vulnerability was obvious... I could tell how hard she was trying and I appreciated it greatly. My mind was blown away by the fact she thanked me for knowing all that she was and choosing to stay despite it all! Did she not know that was the whole reason for picking her? I never wanted bland and one dimensional, it was always a quest for something more. Meaningful connections have always been the end goal in my case. I'm thankful for all of my past relationships, for what they taught me and for the experiences they allowed me to live. That being said, none of them come even close to what teacup and I have, I will say it without second-guessing myself: this is it for me. She's the one I want to stay with for the rest of my life and it seems realistic. We've been through stuff and we managed to come out the other side stronger. All that I needed in life to be happy, was her by my side, accompanying me through thick and thin. Not a lot but an entire universe, at the same time.

"Sooo... mum, did you know Harry's got a girlfriend?", Gemma blurted out as soon as we sat down to have dinner and I almost spit my wine out, not knowing how to react.

"Well I read something online, but I said to myself: Anne, it cannot be true, your son would tell you first, so I started ignoring all they were saying in those tabloids.", she was pulling my leg, I knew her, it was her way of gently shaming me for not coming to her sooner.

"Mum, that's not fair because I did want to tell you. I just didn't really know where teacup and I stood, so I made sure it was solid before even toying with the idea of bringing someone new into your life.", two could play that game, Anne Twist, and I had the best teacher. Mum saw right through me and tried hitting me over the head with the bread basket.

"It's the same girl from America? The European one you were at the Brits with?", I nodded and stared Gemma down for just eating her lunch in peace after planting the seed for this entire interrogation.

"Yes. Thea is her name, but I just call her teacup. She's the one for me, mum. I know it.", that must've caught my sister's attention because she dropped her fork a bit surprised by my statement.

"I mean... you guys are a lovely couple, don't get me wrong. But I'm sure Thea would look at you the same way I am if you were to tell her that. She'd probably say something like 'Harry, I love you but you've lost your mind'.", Gemma was very serious, suddenly.

"People, people, people. I am not saying I'll marry her tomorrow. I'm just saying that I'm done looking, she's it. We are fine the way we are now; we work as a couple and I don't feel the need to change our dynamic so suddenly and so seriously. It was just a thought, y'know... me... sharing things with my family.", both of them kept sneaking glances at me during dinner, like I was an unstable guy that says one thing but does the opposite. I did have a special present for teacup, something I'd give her when we arrive in DC, but it wasn't what my mum or sister would assume if I showed it to them.

DECEMBER 30TH 2020

*Thea's P.O.V.*

"I missed you very much, but it was so nice seeing all of my family and friends, even if it was just a couple of days.", we were in the airport, getting ready to board our flight to DC and we both decided to surprise Josh and not tell him we were coming.