FORTY THREE

Paul Anka and Odia Coates: (You're) Having My Baby

These two weeks have been messy, my nausea kicked in around week five and anybody that ever told you it was a morning thing lied to you. It was a whole day thing; you couldn't eat because you were nauseous and you were nauseous because you couldn't eat... the cruel circle of creating new life. I went to my OB appointment to make sure I was indeed pregnant and the doctor estimated my due date to be around mid-April. Gemma was overbearingly wonderful to me, she brought prenatal vitamins, stocked the fridge with ginger ale and filled my bedside table with crackers. I don't even know how she found out all these tips and tricks, but she assured me her mother was still in the dark. Harry and I talked once a day, usually around noon London time, which was conveniently the only hour of the day I didn't feel like throwing up. He was excited to be back in Europe in a week and he seemed to have cooled off in terms of my decision not to go on tour with him. I managed to back out of Friday night drinks two times in a row, without Niall getting too suspicious. I reckon he thought I was just down because Harry wasn't around. Tonight was a bit different, though, because he'd texted me an hour ago he was coming over to my house and he planned to drag me out of my depression. Bless his heart, the sweetest guy. I finally managed to convince Gemma to leave me alone in the house and go have dinner with Michal.

"Darling! Where the hell have you been these past weeks, it's been like chasing a ghost!", Niall hugged me and the smell of fried chicken followed him into the house. I took a few deep breaths, trying not to let the nausea come back, but the chicken wasn't helping.

"Ah, you know... here and there. What about you? How's life been?", I stood as far away from the kitchen island as possible, trying to block the smell with my cup of mint tea. It was not working and I could sense myself getting paler by the second.

"Something's wrong. You're pregnant.", he dropped the chicken wing and looked right at me.

"Why would you say that?", my intention was not to tell anyone before I told Harry, so I was going to do my best to keep the blob a secret.

"You love chicken and now you're basically all the way in the garden, trying to get away from it. Are you? Don't lie to me.", he was impossible to keep anything from, as innocent as he was, he had a good lie detector.

"Fine, but you can't tell anyone because Harry doesn't know yet.", he washed his hands and came straight for a hug. It felt good to tell someone, besides Gemma, that I had a human blob growing inside me.

"Congratulations! It's incredible news!! Why haven't you told Harry yet? Oh, he's gonna be thrilled.", we moved to the garden, where the late summer sun was just setting.

"I'm not so sure he'll be that happy, he's got his entire career in front of him and I wouldn't want him to drop everything just to be with us. I'm still a bit confused about the entire thing, to tell ya the truth.", I envied him for being able to have a beer, this was going to be a long seven months ahead of me.

"How far along are ya?"

"I'm going to be seven weeks tomorrow, so almost two months. Gemma's the only one who knows... she figured it out by hitting my boob to see if it'll hurt, can you believe it? Anyway, I'm planning on telling him in a week, when he starts the European leg of the tour. Then I'll probably join the tour craziness for a while, if the doc gives me the go ahead. I'm just worried that he'll drop everything and put his music on hold for this baby and that he'll end up resenting us both for it.", he was the first person I told my biggest fear when it came to this pregnancy. I wasn't as afraid of childbirth as I was afraid of Harry risking the momentum in the industry to have a family with me.