FORTY-TWO

Ed Sheeran: Small Bump

The year 2021. was flying by, Harry was about to head on tour and it was hectic around the house. Clothes racks were everywhere, his stylist Harry practically lived with us and I tried my best to not get in their way while they were working. Tonight was the first night in a whole month when we'd get some alone time, perfect timing because he'd be leaving for the US in two days. I planned out dinner: salmon and roasted potatoes, he was in charge of picking up some dessert in town and I was very adamant about having a quiet night in.

"I'm home teacup!", Harry walked in, carrying a box of cupcakes from our favorite bakery, Violet.

"Perfect timing, would you set the table, please?", the salmon was about finished and I turned my attention to the salad dressing while Harry picked the plates, got the cutlery and a bottle of white wine.

"Why don't you come with me? Just for a few weeks?", we didn't even start dinner and he was already picking a fight, because he must've known how this conversation would end, we'd had it a million times in the past two months.

"I already told you I wouldn't feel okay doing that. It's your job, not mine. Mine is here, in London. I can't miss weeks of work just to travel around the world with you and spend my days in planes, hotel rooms and in the back of tour buses. We've discussed this, love.", hoping to diffuse the situation a bit, I tried staying as calm as possible.

"But we won't see each other for months!!", he pressed.

"Harry, that's not true. We'll talk every day, and I will come visit when you make it back to Europe, like we agreed. Please, let's not fight, we've only got a couple more days together before you leave and I'd hate for us to spend them arguing.", I put my hand over his on the dining table, he sighed and nodded, not really sure he had a choice. It was a recurring conversation, I felt like a character in Groundhog's day, reliving the same day. The topic was successfully tabled for the rest of the evening as we ate dinner and watched reality TV. Harry wasn't really present, but I'd take what I could get at that point. He kept acting like it was okay, like everything was fine, because I'd asked him not to fight with me. I appreciated him trying to respect my wishes, but I really just wanted him to understand where I was coming from and why I didn't want to go on tour with him. I had to draw that line somewhere, because I truly had no interest in being his groupie or a full time musician's girlfriend. I loved him, we were happy and nothing was wrong, but I desperately wanted to hold on to some sort of normality in our relationship, something that made us common and regular. No matter how many times I tried explaining that he wouldn't expect me to go along on his business trips if he were a CEO of a fortune 500 company or a sales rep – he refused to agree with me. I dropped him off at the airport, we said goodbye in the car and he left still upset with me. Gemma invited herself over for a girls' night with wine and popcorn, which I was very happy about... I hated being alone in that giant house.

"I've got white, I've got red and I've got rose. Which will it be, girly?", she walked in, carrying three bottles of wine and three bags of popcorn, barely managing to watch her step.

"Jesus, Gemma! What do you think we are, alcoholics?", I took the popcorn off her hands and we decided on the rose.

"Well, I know you and my stupid brother have been arguing nonstop for the past few weeks so I thought wine was the best option to make you forget.", she was right, and I guess if I weren't feeling so weird the past week I'd be opening two bottles simultaneously.

"Let's start light, I've had an uneasy stomach for a few days now."

"Like you've been sick or you've got indigestion problems or what?", we got comfy on the couch and turned on MTV hits.