FORTY-FIVE

Andrew Gold: Thank You For Being A Friend

"Josh keeps calling me and I can't continue dodging all his attempts to contact me. What do I do?", Harry and I were at the kitchen island, having breakfast. Well, I was attempting to eat something, the morning sickness hasn't left me by now, and it was early December so it was safe to say it would probably stay until the end.

"It's almost time for him and Alyssa to come visit us, maybe just call and apologize for not picking up, say you've been busy. They're coming in 10 days, right?"

"Yeah, on the 20th. I guess I'll do that. They can stay with us, you're sure it's not a problem?", I finished my scrambled eggs and popped both our plates in the dishwasher.

"Not a problem teacup, as I've already told you about a million times. I have to pop out to the label, you good here?"

"Go, say hi to anyone I know there. Love you.", he picked up his keys and threw on a million layers of clothing before giving me one last kiss and leaving. I couldn't believe it was almost the end of the year, it had flown by faster than any year before.

"Hey asshole, I am so sorry for not picking up earlier. I'm just really busy with this project at work.", I lied, "Oh, no problem. I just wanted to call and see where we were at with the vacation plans. But, never mind that. You've got a work project? Tell me all about it!".

"Uhm, it's not really set in stone yet so I don't want to jinx it. I'll tell you more when you get here. Vacation plans are as follows: you arrive December 20th, you'll be staying with us because we've got plenty of room, we'll spend a couple of days in London, then we'll drive up to Holmes Chapel and have Christmas and New Year's with Harry's family.", I hated lying to Josh, but I really wanted to see his face when he notices my bump, so there were no other options.

"Sounds good. Wow, two years after the first fateful Christmas party, you're still together. Who would've thought.", I hadn't even thought about that, until Josh mentioned it. Our second anniversary, shit. We'd been so wrapped up in the baby and ourselves that I forgot about getting Harry a gift.

"Josh, I've got to run. We'll talk more soon and I can't wait to see you!", I hung up and ran upstairs, to the best of my ability, to get dressed. I had to go get Harry a present. Not just him, it was high time to do the Christmas shop.

'If you're not busy, would you fancy a Christmas shopping spree and lunch on me later? x, T', I texted Gemma and started the car. It would take me about twenty minutes to Liberty in Regent Street. She loved the plan and told me she'd meet me there. It was an odd sunny day in London, we didn't get much of those, but it was something to be enjoyed.

"You're getting quite big, lady! Hi! I've missed you. Ever since my stupid brother's been back and we stopped being roommates.", Gemma appeared behind me just as I was about to enter the department store.

"I miss you too! You know you're always welcome to come and stay with us for a few days. Be my partner in teasing Harry. You know, he read a book about pregnancy and babies and now he's the expert. He knows everything, we could come up with a quiz for when you come for Sunday roast. We'll turn it into a drinking game for you, and I'll live vicariously.", she loved the idea.

I was a big fan of Christmas but I despised shopping for gifts. Harry was easy, I was getting him the Complete book of sonnets and poems by Shakespeare and I found the most perfect cheesy Love Actually Christmas jumper that could be the anniversary present. I was clueless when it came to Anne, but Gemma told me to get her anything because she was an easy woman to please when it came to presents. We ended up picking a cashmere scarf and a pair of funky sunglasses, which I was assured me their mother would love.