Chapter 4 (Divya returning)

Priya's POV
......

It's been a week since Prabhu Uncle and family left our home after the meal. I'm really stressed, honestly what is happening in my life? Why am I getting married at such a young age!! Well anyways, my younger sister Divya is coming home today. Divya is 21 years old and she's completing her degree in Bangalore. My bro and dad went to pick her up from the railway station. I was just sitting in my room and that's when my grandma arrived. As soon as she spoke with my mom She directly came up to my room eo see me. I love her so much even though she is from another generation, she has the mindset of kids from my generation. "Patti (means grandma) how are you? I missed you so much'', I said after running and taking blessings from her. Patti said she missed me as well. As we were talking about life, Patti brought up the topic of my marriage. She started lecturing me about how girls of my age should get married at the right age and all. I started to get a little irritated, because I thought at least she would understand my feelings. Whilst Patti was talking about my marriage someone barged inside my room screaming ''PRIYA, I MISSED YOU''. It was my sister Divya. I ran to hug her. It's been 6 months since I've seen her. "'Awww I missed you too 'Divy' so much", I told her.

More than a sister, I see Divya as my best friend. I love her. "Priya, so I heard you're getting married, how's your husband doing then?'', She questioned me as soon as I released her from the hug. Argh!! Why is everyone talking about this stupid marriage? :(
All my family speaks nowadays is about my marriage.

When it was time for bed, Divya came up to me and asked if I am 100% happy with this marriage. I asked her why she is asking me this all of a sudden, so she said that apparently she's been noticing me since the time she arrived and I'm not acting as my usual self. I told her about how our parents are forcing me to get married to Vijay, how Vijay is not interested in this marriage and just seeing it as a deal, just to satisfy our family. Divya listened to me intently and said, ''Sis, no one can force you. If you don't want to get married then say a big NO to our parents''. Well I would've said No to this marriage but Dad's heart condition is preventing me from saying no to this marriage. So Divya said,''if you really feel like you have no way out of this marriage then I think you should give it a chance, you never know. Vijay anna might fall in love with you''. I just nodded my head to what she said. I don't know what else to do or say anymore.

NEXT DAY

I woke up very early today. Divya was sleeping beside me very peacefully, without disturbing her I got up, went to use the restroom to finish the morning rituals, took a shower and dressed in a white kurta. When I went downstairs my dad was on the phone speaking with Prabhu Uncle. Without disturbing him, I went to the kitchen to help mom. After preparing breakfast, mom asked me to call everyone downstairs for breakfast. As everyone settled, Dad announced that it's my engagement tomorrow and the wedding will be in just two weeks. Dad also informed us that they want the wedding and engagement to be as simple as possible.

Divya suddenly questioned dad, "Papa, why are you rushing the wedding? Is it because you are seeing Priya as a burden?" Dad became angry and raised his voice a bit and said ''I don't see any of my children as a burden, the reason why Priyanka's marriage is being rushed is because there aren't any good dates this year for Priyanka and Vijay to get married other than these dates, also if Vijay does not get married before this date he couldn't get married in the next 5 years according to his horoscope''. Divya just rolled her eyes at dad and said,''bloody customs''. ''Who taught you to speak like this Divya?'', My brother asked Divya and started raising his voice. I felt like I can't control my tears seeing my family arguing because of me anymore. So I ran upstairs to my room and started crying very hysterically. Hearing me cry my dad and mom walked up to me and started to comfort me. They said that they are very sorry for what they are doing to me and told me to opt out of this marriage if I really don't want to get married to Vijay.

I know how close dad is with Prabhu uncle and family, I didn't want to break heir bond. Holding my dad's hand I said I don't mind marrying Vijay and I am ready to give it a chance. Dad and mom smiled hearing this. I said I am not sad at all and told them to start the engagement preparations as it it very close. My parents have given me everything I asked for and this is the only thing they are requesting me, I love my parents a lot as well so for them I am getting married to Vijay.

...........................................