19

The crunching sound of glass breaking echoed throughout the walls of Mikaela's room, his fist impacting a large mirror that hung on the scarlet painted panels, a shattered image of himself through it.

Blood crept down his finger tips, but he didn't feel much pain, only the insufferable ache that filled his cold heart.

"You're a monster." He muttered to himself, letting his hand fall to his side as he let out short pants of exhaustion. The fangs in his mouth taunted him, thirst lingering in this throat as he craved that taste of sweet, sweet blood. He slammed both of his hands onto the wall, pinning them on either side of the mirror while staring at himself through the broken glass. "Yuichiro hates you."

Mikaela hated himself, inside and out. The insecurities of his species and behaviors were deeply bounded onto his shoulders and he felt weighed down by the guilt and resentment towards his parents. Mika never asked to be a vampire, nor did he ask to be a killer. Still yet, he was forced into this life of cruelty.

Humans were nothing but mere livestock to his species; they were food, property, and prey. It's easy to get attached to them, especially with their delicious blood, and sometimes it was hard to stop their habits and addictions of over-drinking.

His first kill wasn't someone he simply enjoyed blood from, however; she was someone he cared for, a lover.

Maria

A simple name for a beautiful woman. She had a fair complexion and long, dark hair. Her eyes stained the color of green, but the sunlight greeted them with a hazel tint. Mika thought he loved her, but his love grew into desire, and desire grew into murder. It was an accident, she trusted him too much and he let his hunger get the best of him.

She deserved better.

Mikaela pushed himself away from the wall and gripped onto his chest, heart aching from the memories of her. He couldn't let Yuichiro end up like that; sprawled out on the floor, covered in blood and drained from any sign of life.

However, he was already addicted to that boy with a warm smile, chirpy voice, and reckless yet adorable inclination. Yuu was too sweet for his own good and Mika was ready to throw everything away for him, but he was afraid of himself. He was afraid of hurting Yuu.

Wiping away a few tears, Mika allowed his eyes to close as he pondered upon what to do. Just then, his phone went aloud; a call coming through.

His eyes snapped open and he glanced at the lit-up screen—

Incoming call
Yuichiro Ichinose

"Hello?"

His hands were shaking as he answered the call, ears sensing the sound of static in the background on Yuu's end.

"Mika," the boy spoke softly through the phone, his voice easily putting Mika at ease. However, there was a concerning unsteady tone to it.

Mikaela recognized that something was wrong immediately.

"Yuu-Chan, is everything okay?"

There was a pause on the other end, a shaky breath releasing into the mobile then a quiet, "No."

That's when Mika knew this couldn't be good at all. He swiped his car keys off of his desk and sprinted out of his room, keeping the phone close to his ear. "I'm coming to you. What happened?"

"I made a mistake," Yuu mentioned then grunted out as if he were in pain. "I'm at the train tracks north of town... please hurry, Mika."

He didn't have to tell him twice, because Mika sped to Yuu's location, staying on the phone to keep note of his well-being.

Arriving at the train tracks, a frantic search commenced. Swift speeds from location to location were passed, Mika nearly found himself as the only person there, until he saw a mere silhouette in the distance.

"Yuu-Chan!"

The calling was loud, heard afar by the boy of raven hair blowing in the dusty wind. His eyes glistened as he limped and hazily spotted Mika. Slurring upon his words, Yuichiro uttered an apology while falling onto his weak knees, a tear sliding down his cheek.

In a flash, he was in Mika's arms, breathing heavily and finding comfort in the warmth of a monsters body. It felt like love, the way he was being held and cared for.

"What happened to you?" Asked his protector, caressing his cheek in a state of concern. "Who did this? Give me a name."

With a soft exhale came an explanation, "I..." those beautiful green eyes glared up into Mikaela's, fixated on his emotions. Mika was no monster, was he?

"I wanted to be like you."

"Huh?"

"I was racing a train... and I tried to jump on, but instead I hit the steel and it bumped me off... I landed on a barbed wire fence."

Mikaela chuckled and lifted the boy off the ground, carrying his body in a bridal way and staring at him with a look of adoration. "Silly Yuu-Chan, you should know better than to imitate a vampire~"

"Eh?! It was a test of strength!"

"Sure, call it that."

"You sarcastic ass!"

And like that, their fallout was history.

Maybe you don't have to apologize to fix things...