Part 5

Onyx's gem floats into the air, shining light in the dim barn. Steven hears the ringing and rushes into the barn.

Onyx reforms and drops onto the floor. He notices Steven and looks around the barn. "Where's Lapis?!" He frantically asks.

"She... left. She said Earth wasn't her home, and that she didn't belong here." Onyx is shocked at the thought.

"S-She didn't go back to homeworld... right?" Steven seems confused and shrugs.

Onyx walks to a corner of the barn and sits down. "Thanks for all your help, Steven." Onyx seems to shut off, deep into his thoughts.

Steven takes one last look at Onyx before he exits the barn. He returns to his caterpillar sleeping bag and drifts back into sleep.

-Timeskip-

Steven awoke with the other gems yelling about packing things up. He got up and rushed over to see that the gems had packed his Dad's van full.

"Hey, Schtu-ball! We're all set to go." Greg smiles as Garnet alerts that everyone is buckled. Steven smiles back at his Dad.

"You guys go ahead. I'll catch up on Lion." He assures as Greg nervously nods and gets into the van. They pull off leaving Steven there. 

He pushes the barn door open to reveal Onyx sitting in the same spot... lifeless. His Sclera seemed to have gone completely black.

"Onyx? Onyx!" Steven rushes over shaking the gem. Steven groans and slumps beside him not being strong enough to push him.

"You know, I miss her too. Not as much as you but... I never really get to talk to her. She's always seemed so distant... and I feel like I just don't know her." Steven finishes.

"I've known Lapis ever since she came out of her hole on Homeworld. Some five thousand years ago, before the war. She was very kind, and I felt... like a real person near her. It didn't last long though... she was sent to terraform earth before war broke out. I had thought she was shattered. I didn't know what to do. I started slacking on my duties and then... White found out. She recognized what I felt and she saw it as an imperfection. She decided to make an example out of me. I thought she would control me as she did to that Pearl, but the blast never came. I opened my eyes and I was... Discolored. Completely devoid of my original red color.

LONG PARAGRAPH BOYS (n gals)!

"Wow." That was all Steven could say. He's been through a lot and Onyx has too. They understood each other. 

Onyx stood up. "Why don't we take a walk?" Onyx stretched a little before helping Steven up. They ventured into the woods.

A few minutes later they stopped. "What's wrong Onyx?" Steven asked, confused why he stopped.

"You hear that?" Steven didn't hear anything. Onyx grabs Steven's hand and dashed through the forest.

He stopped and three wolves were slowly inching toward a baby bear who was whimpering. Onyx's eyes widened.

"Stay here Steven." Onyx walked toward the wolves. "Uh... Onyx?" Onyx continues as one wolf jumped toward the bear.

In a split second Onyx darted in front of the bear. Steven saw that the wolf had bit down onto his arm.

Onyx shoves the wolf off of him and intimidates the other wolves. The three retreat back into the deep woods leaving Onyx and the bear cub.

Onyx turns to the cub and kneels. The cub walks up to him and rubs against him. Steven quickly runs over.

"That was so cool! Is your arm okay?!" Steven grabs Onyx's arm. "There's... no... blood?" Steven asked rather than said.

Onyx chuckles. "Gems don't have blood." Steven then looks down at the cub. His eyes turned into hearts for the cute bear.

The cub starts climbing Onyx's leg. Onyx bends down and picks the small cub up. He cradles him in his arms.

The two, with their new friend, head back to the barn. As they arrive Steven looks up toward the silo. "Lapis!"

Onyx quickly follows behind Steven still carrying the cub. "Lapis!" He calls again. Lapis quickly summons her wings and flies down to the duo.

"I thought you left?" Steven questions. Onyx looks off to the side obviously upset at Lapis.

"I was going to but... I realized I didn't have anywhere to go. Who knows what would happen if I went back to homeworld." She said sadly.

"What's that?" She reaches out toward the cub. Onyx pulls the cub away from her touch. "Steven said it was a bear." He says resentfully. 

She shrugs the motion off as Onyx walks away. He enters the barn and closes the door. Steven watches with Lapis and turns back to her.

"He is really upset at you." He informs her. Her face changes to confusion.

"Upset at me?! He basically kidnapped me back to earth! How can he be mad at me! I just spent five months at the bottom of the ocean trying to protect you!"

"He didn't kidnap or request you! That was Peridot! What do you think he did for those five months? He looked for you! He really cares about you Lapis. You should go talk to him."

Lapis hesitantly walked toward the barn. She wasn't sure but trusted Steven's judgment. She slowly opened the door to the barn.

WOW, this took a while. Finally finished the chapter though. I desperately need a name for the bear cub by the way. I don't really know what to name it so if you have a cute name let me know. The bear is important by the way. And if you are wondering the Onyx's Scythe is not his original weapon. Just like how Spinel stored the rejuvenator in her gem Onyx does the same. Anyway, backstory is through and stuff so now you guys know. Enjoy the rest of the book!

-Kai