Part 7

-Lapis POV-

"Enjoying the view?" Onyx startled me. "Don't do that!" I playfully punched his chest. 

"I suppose you're up here to talk about Peridot." I said rolling my eyes. "No, just wanted to know why you'd rather be up here alone."

I leaned back onto the Silo. "It's warm, and most importantly, quiet." Onyx chuckled. "What?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I remember you used to hate the silence in Homeworld." I shrugged. "Things change." He sat down beside me.

"I suppose so." I gave him a look as he stared into the sunset. He looks so... calm. Like this is all he's ever wanted.

He glances and me and I quickly turn away to not look like I was staring. I probably was.

He gives a smile and a small laugh. "What now?" I say flustered. "Nothing." He turns back to the sunset.

"You know... Earth looks a lot nicer when there isn't a war going on." He says calmly. "I agree." I lean back once more.

"Hey, Lazuli! HEY Lazuli! HEEY!" Peridot shouts from below. I groan in frustration. "You have a visitor." Onyx jokes.

"Lazuliiii, HEY!" Peridot continues. "Hmm. Steven's down there too." Onyx tries to encourage me down.

"Lapis! Are you up there?" Steven calls. I reluctantly fly down. Onyx lands beside me crouched down.

I take a quick glance at him as he winks to Steven. I refocus on Peridot and Steven. "Yes, Steven?" I tilt my head.

Peridot slowly approaches as my face goes blank. "Steven did the outside, and I did the inside!" She proudly points to herself.

I skim over the cover of the card and open it. "Sorry I interrogated you. You were just full of such useful information. That's a sincere compliment. Peridot."

I hand Steven the card and give him a blank look. I fly back on top of the Silo. What an annoyance.

-3rd Person-

Onyx gives Peridot a small smile and climbs back to the top of the Silo. "You do know she's trying right?"

"I'd prefer if she didn't." Lapis lays back once more. Onyx sighs. "Whatever you say... I'm heading to Steven's house." Lapis raises her hand lazily attempting to say goodbye.

"Just give her a chance. Please." Onyx jumps off the Silo. 'On to Steven's house.'

-Timeskip-

Onyx knocks a few times on the door as he shifts his hood down. Garnet opens the door to the slightly smaller Onyx.

"Steven's not here. You'll have to come back later." Garnet begins shutting the door as Onyx sticks his foot in it.

"Actually, I came to see you." Onyx pulls his foot out. Garnet nods to the couch as Onyx steps inside.

Onyx takes a seat on the couch as Garnet turns a kitchen chair toward him. Pearl emerges from the temple frantically.

"Ah, Garnet there you are! I've been thinking and I seriously don't think we can trust Onyx! Have you seen what he's done? He's an emissary of White Diamon-" Her gaze slowly falls on Onyx.

"I-I mean, there is a small sword that I lost in the temple... I should go retrieve it!" Pearl quickly runs to the temple entrance and sprints inside.

Garnet takes a deep breath and turns back to Onyx. "She is... distrustful, of new gems."  Garnet reassures.

"I don't blame her... I haven't been the best guest, to be fair. Sorry about... punching you when I first arrived." He lowers his head.

"It's fine. So, why come all the way here for an apology?" She leans back in her chair. 

"That's not the only reason... It's about that time we fused." Garnet nods for him to keep going.

Onyx sighs. "Can you tell me what you felt?" Onyx meets her gaze. "Fusion is a complicated subject." Garnet begins.

"It can help you understand yourself as much as the other person. When we were fused I felt that you had trapped yourself in a cage. You trapped away yourself because you think that your emotions make you weak. I believe that emotion can be as strong as a weapon, and the greatest weapon you can make from emotion is love. I know you already have a person you love, all you need to do is take the leap with them." Garnet adjusts her glasses and light shines off of them.

Onyx takes a moment to process Garnet's words. "Thank you, Garnet. You are a very wise gem." Onyx stands up from the couch.

"Steven should be home shortly. I doubt it will take him much longer to get Peridot and Lapis to at least tolerate one another." Onyx begins to leave as Pearl exits the temple once again.

"Oh Pearl, I wanted to ask you something as well." Pearl's eyes widen. "Steven has asked that I teach him how to handle a weapon. Are you alright with it?" 

"I most certainly am not. I want Steven to be taught how to hold a weapon properly, not swing it around like some hooligan." She waved her arms mockingly.

"Are you trying to say that I can't teach Steven how to use a weapon because I don't know how to use one?" Onyx shot back.

"Implying it." She crossed her arms. "How about a fight then? Both of us fight, with only weapons, to see who would be better suited for being Steven's teacher." 

"I accept your challenge." Pearl retorted. "Alright. We'll fight next week. See you then." Onyx showed himself out the door.

"Did you really just pick a fight with a gem who's twice as old as you and has more than double your fighting experience?" Garnet asked calmly.

"Uhhhhh..." Pearl began to sweat. Garnet put a hand on Pearl's shoulder. "Good luck." She gave a smile before walking to the temple.

"What did I just agree to?" Pearl groaned.

A/N

I couldn't wait to post this so here it is! Pearl and Onyx are having a fight for being Steven's teacher! Maybe it was pride that got the better of Pearl but she accepted. Glad to have another chapter out this soon! I've had a lot of inspiration for this book recently and as I am planning on rewatching the show soon. Stay safe guys n' gals!

-Kai