Part 6

The Barn's door creaked open as Lapis made her way inside. Onyx was sitting inside playing with his new friend.

"Onyx?" She said as she slumped down on the opposite wall. "Steven told me... that while I was fused, you looked for me every day." Onyx sighs.

"Yeah. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't go into the ocean. I met some interesting sea creatures. One particularly large one that insisted on eating me." A small laugh came from Lapis.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know that I meant that much to you." She said as her gaze shifted to the floor.

"I'm not that good at getting my emotions across. It's understandable." He replied as he stared at his right hand.

"Do you know what I was before this?" Lapis shook her head. "Before what?" 

"Before White took my color. I was a Ruby Aura Quartz. Before Rubies were made to be just throw away soldiers." His glare continued at his hand. 

"I was the first of a short line. I was made a diplomat, although I never negotiated. It was always surrender or be annihilated. Either way, they were always killed." Onyx clenched his fist.

"Sorry, I'm rambling. I have to fix the TV before Peridot gets back in the morning." Lapis raises an eyebrow. "Steven didn't tell you? Peridot lives here. She went with the crystal gems to gather her things from Steven's bathroom."

"We've decided to share the Barn. If you're staying you're welcome to join-" Lapis cuts him off. "NO! Sorry no. I don't want to share anything with her." She said with venom.

"Alright. Would you mind watching Ares for me while I fix the TV?" Lapis nods as Onyx climbs the Barn's ladder up to the TV.

"You named him Ares?" Onyx nods. "It suits him." She chuckles as Ares licks her face.

-Timeskip-

"Onyx? ARE YOU STILL HERE?" Peridot shouts from outside the Barn. The door slowly slides open.

"No need to shout Peri, I was just finishing up fixing your TV." He says emerging and crouching down to Peridot's level. 

"Thank you for fixing it. I would have done it myself if I didn't have to- ONYX THERE IS A SMALL CREATURE WITH BIG TEETH BEHIND YOU!" Onyx turns to see Ares as Peridot cowers behind him.

"It's alright Peri. This is Ares, I found him in the woods with Steven. I think he was abandoned or something." Ares approaches Peridot while sniffing.

"Just stick your hand out and let him smell you." Peridot covers her eyes with one arm and extends the other to Ares. 

Ares sniffs her hand and she recoils. She reaches her hand back and pats his head. "See he's not that bad." Onyx chuckles.

"What's with all the yelling out here? Oh. It's you. I was just leaving." Lapis's wings shot from her gem as she started to push off but her wrist was caught.

Onyx's hand was shaking around her wrist. "O-oh sorry." He quickly lets her go. She took one last angry glance at Peridot as she flew onto the silo and sat down.

 "What's wrong with her?" Peridot questioned. "I don't know. I'll go get Steven. He'll know what to do." Onyx said hiding his face.

-Timeskip-

"Hmmm." Steven ponders. "Steven, I thought I'd be living alone in the countryside. Or at the very least without her." She shoots a glare at Peridot.

"Yeah, but this is even better! Oh here, how about this? I saw this on an episode of a TV show! I didn't see how it ended, but I'm sure it worked out right. We'll divide this place in half." Steven takes out a marker and draws a line down the barn.

"You'll both have your own space. High ceilings, real wood floors, a convenient location on the heart of the country; so what do you think, roomies?" Lapis and Peridot stand on opposite sides of the line.

"I like the cut of your gem, Steven Quartz!" Peridot exclaims. Onyx gives a small thumbs up. 

"No! No way!" Lapis shouts. "What's the problem? You're the one getting all the good stuff! You've got the propeller and paint cans on your side! You can do tons with those! Oooh, actually, I want the paint cans. You wanna trade something?" Peridot haggles.

"I don't care about paint cans. That's not the problem." Lapis crosses her arms and looks away.

Onyx whistles for Ares as he walks outside. Ares comes running from behind the Barn. Onyx bends down to his level and pats his head.

"Why can't they be like you Ares? You're so content with everything." Onyx pauses for a moment as Ares tilts his head.

"Hey, Ares want to see a new trick I've been working on?" Ares begins running circles around Onyx excitedly.

Onyx stands quickly and closes his eyes. His gem glows briefly as a copy of himself appears to his left.

"Here's the fun part." Onyx grins. The copy's gem glows as it morphs into Peridot. "CLODS!" The copy yells before Onyx and the clone fall onto the grass laughing.

Lapis exits the barn angrily and flies to the top of the silo. Onyx walks back to the Barn confused and pokes his head inside.

"ONYX! THERE IS AN IMPOSTOR BEHIND YOU!" Peridot shouts and the clone disappears. "Sorry Peri, I was showing Ares something."

"Why is Lapis upset?" Onyx asks Steven. "She's angry at Peridot. So we're making her a card!" He smiles.

"What's a "card"?" Onyx repeats Steven. "Cards are a folded piece of paper that you write in. Wanna see the outside?" Steven's eyes turned to stars.

"Sure." Steven borrowed the card from Peridot and gave it to Onyx. Onyx peered at the card.

"Where are the noses?" Onyx questioned raising an eyebrow. "I told you it was strange." Peridot deadpanned.

Onyx passes the card back to Peridot as she continues writing. "Steven. May I speak with you quickly?"

"Sure, what's up?" Steven tilted his head. "An hour before I came to get you, something happened outside the Barn."

"I talking with Peridot as she had just got back and Lapis came outside after Peridot had been yelling. She clearly didn't want to see or talk to Peri and her wings shot out. In a very small moment I-I felt like I was losing her again... like after she flew away, she wouldn't come back. My body acted on its own and grabbed her wrist before she could get away. Now she keeps glancing at me when she thinks I'm not looking. I feel like I'm going to lose her again." Onyx sunk down onto the floor with his last words.

"It's OK Onyx. You really care for her, and I'm sure she knows that. I think you just need to talk to her. Both of you went through things in those six months she was gone. I know that you like her but, things aren't like they were when you first met. So maybe just try to become her friend again. I'm sure that she'll come around." Steven patted Onyx on the back.

Onyx sat for a moment taking in what Steven had said. "You know... I used to think that I had a way with words." Onyx smiled.

"If you ever need anything, Steven. I'll try to help to the best of my ability." Onyx stood up.

"Maybe you could teach me how to use a Scythe like you!" Steven's eyes had stars in them as he looked up at Onyx.

"If the Crystal Gems allow me to, I'd be happy to teach you." Onyx ruffled Stevens's hair.

Onyx took a look outside the Barn toward Lapis. "Go talk to her. I'm gonna keep helping Peridot with her card." Steven nudged Onyx.

A/N

Haven't updated this story or my others in a while but I got some inspiration one night and decided to get to work on it! Just as a side note, Onyx isn't OBSESSED with Lapis, however any terrible thing that has ever happened to him it tied with her and usually, losing her. It's his biggest fear and his main thing to overcome with the help of lovable Steven. Hope you guys enjoyed!

-Kai