Part 8

-Onyx POV-

I continued running through the forest and I heard a strange sound coming from the direction of the Barn.

Oh no. A Roaming Eye. They found us. I swiftly pulled my Scythe from my gem. Quickening my sprint I ran to the Eye. 

It's peering into the Barn? I put away my Scythe as I lower myself to the ground. I sprang up and caught the Eye's back panel. I have to protect them.

Channeling all my emotion into my arm it slowly turns red and lights on fire. The Eye suddenly moves as Lapis, Steven, and Peridot run out of the Barn.

I regain my grip before rearing back a fist and sending it through the back panel. Prying this thing off shouldn't be too hard.

Come on! The panel finally gives way as I let it fall to the ground beneath me. The lights on the front of the Roaming eye turn red as it locks onto the three gems below.

I start yanking wires out but nothing's happening. A large hand of water forms to my right and makes a flicking motion.

I jump before impact and land in front of Lapis. "Send them home Lapis!" I cheer as Lapis knocks them to the ground.

"Holy smokes..." Peridot exclaims. "Steven!" Pearl calls running with the other Crystal gems toward the Barn's entrance.

"A little closer than I expected you to put them but, great work." I joke and Lapis chuckles. Ares appears at my side and begins to growl at the Roaming Eye.

"Holy smokes!" Amethyst repeats. Pearl begins to question Steven as Peridot begins to sneak away.

"Peridot!" Peridot stops in her tracks as she slowly turns. "Are you okay?" Lapis questions. Peridot's smile grows to an unmeasurable width. 

The Eye's hatch suddenly opens as a Ruby with a gem for an eye emerges. Garnet quickly rushes everyone inside the Barn to hide.

-3rd Person POV-

Five rubies exit the crashed pod as the gems inside the Barn attempt to make a plan. "Whoa, look at 'em all!" Steven awes.

Peridot peeks out over Steven. "I knew it! They're after me! This is the end of the line!" Lapis looks out as well.

"You really weren't kidding." She raises an eyebrow at the green gem. 

"I disobeyed a direct order from Yellow Diamond, and I called her a clod... to her face." Peridot runs a hand down her face.

"Oh, honestly, you call everyone a clod." Pearl deadpans.

"Yes, but not everyone has command over all the armies of Homeworld waiting for the word to shatter me!" Peridot scampers to a box full of baseball equipment and dumps it.

She hides inside the small box. "Peridot we won't let them get you." Steven lifts the box.

"But haven't I caused you enough trouble?" Peridot lowers her gaze to the floor. 

"Don't worry, Peridot. It's our sworn duty to protect anything that calls this planet home. And that includes... clods like you." Garnet assures.

"That's my word..." Peridot whispers. "Listen up everyone. I have a plan. Or should I say... we have a plan." Garnet raises her gems before unfusing.

Onyx walks over to Lapis and leans against the wood beam opposite her. "Glad you finally warmed up to her."

The two look at a distressed Peridot. "Steven convinced me." Onyx smiles.

"He does have a way with words... same as his Mother." Lapis seems taken aback. 

"What do you mean-" She is interrupted by Ruby sprinting back into the Barn in a panic.

"They want to search the Barn!" She exclaims. "We heard," Steven says. "We saw." Pearl chimes in.

"I'm scared!" Peridot shouts. Onyx walks over to comfort Peridot. "Don't worry Peri. If they want to harm you they'll have to go through me." 

"I suppose it is a comfort that such a strong gem is willing to protect me." Peridot attempts to compose herself.

Onyx chuckles at her. "Let's ambush them!" Amethyst shouts. "No. No one needs to get hurt. Let's be sensible." Sapphire calmly assures.

"What do I do?" Ruby nervously bites her nails. "I could go out and tell them to leave." Onyx steps forward.

"Would they listen?" Onyx shrugs. "Depends if they know me or not." Sapphire ponders for a moment.

"Just go out there and tell them this is a place where humans live." Ruby sighs. "I... don't want to go alone."

"Oh! I'll come! I'll be your backup." Steven shouts. "And here's some backup for your backup." Amethyst hands Steven a baseball bat. 

Ruby picks Steven up and exits leaving everyone inside the Barn. Lapis quickly makes her way back to Onyx.

"So, what did you mean 'Like his mother'?" Lapis raises an eyebrow. "I'd rather not talk about it." Onyx looks back toward the group.

Lapis leans back against the wall. She understood, it's not like she wanted to talk about her past either.

Onyx sat down waiting for Steven and Ruby to come back. It was true he knew Steven's mother.

-Flashback in Onyx POV-

*CRACK* Another gem shatters beneath my foot. I begin running through the battlefield looking for more targets. 

A pink gem catches my eye. 'Rose Quartz.' I dart toward the figure. She notices last second and blocks my scythe with her sword.

"What happened to your color?" She noticed. "Why would you care?" I ask spinning my Scythe.

"I care for all living things." She says raising her sword. "Even those that wish your destruction? Ones who would enjoy your suffering?" 

She nods. "I envy your ignorance." I charge toward her. Our weapons clash as we stare at one another.

Her eyes widen when she looks into my dead eyes. Ever since Lapis was said to be shattered I haven't felt right.  

"You can change if you really want to." She says pushing me away. "You could join us and make a difference!"

"There's nothing to change. I've been around longer than every gem on this battlefield. Trust me... nothing will ever change." We continue to fight.

"However, you are an interesting gem. Good luck with your rebellion... I know first hand how strong the wrath of White is." She messed up and loses her footing.

My Scythe knocks her weapon into the air and it lands nearby. I retire my Scythe to my gem. I begin heading back toward the landing zone with mixed thoughts.

"What an amazing gem. Reminds me of Lapis's optimism." I mutter.

A/N

Took me a while but here it is. I've been busy as school just started back plus pure laziness. More backstory! Yay! See you guys next time.

-Kai