fifteen

Being roommates with Kaminari Denki, Chargebolt, is weird

At least to Hitoshi it is, but he'll never say that it wasn't enjoyable.

Sometimes his insomnia would strike and he'd sit in bed for hours, staring at the ceiling before finally deciding that he'd step out and get a glass of water.

What he doesn't expect is Kaminari to be sitting criss-cross atop the kitchen island with a plastic tray and chopsticks, slurping on either soba or some other shoddy 7-11 food.

Their movements would pause, and they'd stare at each other through the darkness until;

"You want some?"

Kaminari would smile, plucking up a steaming bowl of corner-store katsu steak atop rice. Hitoshi's lips would immediately morph 'no', because he doesn't want to be a bother, but the smell of cheap food would win him over.

He'd pull apart some measly wooden chopsticks and pluck off the cover for the food, already seated by one of the many stools around them.

Only the moonlight would alight them and their late night munchies, and Kaminari would pull out some fruity canned teas that he just randomly gets. The blonde always says that it's a buy-one-get-one-free type of deal, but Hitoshi can't help but endure the sweetness.

The raspberry flavor is almost sludgy on his tongue, but he finds that Kaminari's hushed laughter and his muted jokes make swallowing the drink easier.

When asked about those late night snackings, his roommate tried to explain his fast metabolisms. Not to mention his sudden awakenings from sleep, overall it was just him being hungry, not like Hitoshi really had a problem with it.

Another detail of having Kaminari as a roommate is his sudden animal spurs, which tells Hitoshi a lot about who Kaminari really was.

At first it was just a blue jay who was found frozen on their balcony railing, which Hitoshi found snuggled against the blonde man whilst they flooded the living room with warmth. He pretends not to notice the new bird feeder that sits outside, occasionally feeding the said bird once in a while.

The second was Kaminari momentarily fostering kittens, coming home from work to find his roommate splayed against the carpet and playing with tabby babies. Maybe it was the favoring of felines, but Hitoshi didn't seem to mind the kittens and was equally sad when they were finally at the age to be adopted.

When Kaminari came home with an entire Shiba dog though, he had a hard time trying to wrap his head around it.

Hitoshi is playing with the said dog, struggling to teach the adorable thing how to perform a pay trick. His pajama-clad body is sat on the living room carpet, sleepy and emphasizing it with a plentiful yawn.

The last time he had interacted with an animal so closely was probably with his dad's own little forest cat back at home, but regardless he didn't mind the adorable blinks and quirks of the Shiba before him.

"Hey Shinsou?"

"Mm?" He answered with a hum, hearing the pan sizzle from the kitchen. Aside from some gentle clattering and the sound of a knife hitting the wooden cutting board. Hitoshi felt at peace.

"Do you like green or red peppers? Oh— and do you prefer spinach or no?" He can heat the easiness in Kaminari's voice, like he's used to taking care of people.

It makes Hitoshi feel bad, because he's just another mouth to feed. Another person to care for, another burden.

It's like a piece of his girlfriend is still with him even when he's in hiding, and he's almost scared. To say if Hitoshi had to tear the back of his phone apart to look for any trackers was an understatement, because the insomniac was still plenty terrified.

"I-I like both, even spinach!" He stutters out, smiling to himself at both Kaminari's warmth and the dog finally understanding the paw trick. "It adds color.. y'know?"

He hadn't expected Kaminari to hear the last part, but an enthusiastic hum is erupted and the blonde's lips curl into a smile.

"I'm glad we share the same view!"

Kaminari was warm, nothing like her boiling hot skin. Warm, cozy, welcoming.

Maybe.. maybe he can let himself relax.