Chapter 1

My name is Lakay Wilson, I am 17 years old

My name is Lakay Wilson, I am 17 years old. I live in Lee Falls, Pennsylvania and I am currently a senior at Lee Falls High School. I'm known as, "nerd girl" or "the shy whale."

I would like to say that I'm curvy, I don't necessarily like to use the term "fat" but I am still a big girl. My hips are wide, my thighs are thick, I have a soft pudgy stomach and medium-sized breasts. I wear baggy clothes to hide my figure because I'd rather be invisible because when the attention is on me it's usually not for a good reason.

      As I'm getting ready for school I hear my brother Terrence call me, "Lakay get your ass down here now..." I walk downstairs to where he was sitting on the couch once he sees me he gets up and walks toward me.

"Where is my breakfast you fat bitch, I thought I told you to have my breakfast nice and hot when I get home from work."

"I'm sorry, I forgot," I said while backing away from him because I knew what was bound to happen. As he grabbed me I realized that he reeked of alcohol, I immediately knew this was not going to end well because every time he's drunk the beatings get worse.

Last time he broke two of my ribs and I had bruises all over my body. Which is kind of weird since my skin is very dark. I had to wear a hoodie during all of my classes because I didn't want my bruises to be on display.

"Why is it that everytime I ask for something you never do it, isn't it already enough that you killed mama?" he said.

"I didn't kill mama," I said while tears started to fall.

"You did, she would still be alive if it wasn't for you!"

         He then punches me in my face and stomach, he kept going until he his fists were bloody I couldn't tell whether it was my blood or his. I was barely able move when he was finished, I got up as quickly as I could to go to clean myself up.

Once I was locked in the bathroom I thought to myself.

"What did I do to deserve this? I wish I was never born,"

I quickly undress myself and get into the shower. I turn the water on cold to quickly wash the blood off. The water turned a pinkish-red color as it went down the drain before it turned clear. I scrub my skin raw to try and scrub away the pain right along with the blood.

      Once I was done I dried myself with a towel and put shea butter on my skin which made it feel soft. I was afraid to look into the mirror because I didn't want to see what I looked like. Once I had enough courage to look up I saw that my eye was an ugly purplish color, I had a bruise on my cheek and my lip was busted.

"There is no way makeup is going to cover that up." I say dejectedly

I decide to put on some grey joggers with an oversized black hoodie along with some black Nike's. I grab my backpack on the way out of the door, in order to make it to school on time I normally leave around 6:15 each morning because it's a 5 mile walk from my house which normally takes me 45 minutes.

*this chapter has been edited*