19: winning an interrogation from a small mistake

Tanya sat, obviously confused.

It was a trial.

'What is going on??? Maxiliam is supposedly a 'judge' for interrogation on me???' Tanya thought as she stood still in front of the desk far away from the other higher-ups.

"Tanya Degurechaff, you are suspected to be a spy." Maxiliam began.

'A spy???' Tanya thought as she listens in anticipation for Maxiliam to speak again.

"Do you conclude into telling you really are a spy from the enemy?" Maxiliam asked.

Tanya declined.

"Perhaps, asking straight forward will not work. It says here in your history that you were raised in an orphanage, yes?" Maxiliam asked.

"Yes, sir." Tanya agreed.

"I was in fact raised in an orphanage before joining the army." She continued.

"But how come your history from the orphanage until here don't match with any of the history coming from the orphanage you were taken in?" Maxiliam asked.

'What is he talking about? Of course it won't! It was clear to keep everything confidential after the robbery from defectors!!!' Tanya thought as she slowly placed a hand down on the table.

'I can get out of this mess...' she thought before a smirk peered from her face.

The other men that were present flinched when she did so.

"It is indeed opposite from one another from a terror it had with defectors." Tanya said.

Lerhgen gave a confused look just like the others, and hey even the writer who wrote the history was confused.

"There was a robbery of defectors that were trying to escape the fatherland by vehicle, they terrorized the orphanage, including the elderlies who were protecting the orphans, in the end, only one child risked their life for everyone else's. Oh, and this is a confidential thing from the orphanage of course." Tanya said.

"What!???" A yell slipped off of the writer's tongue as he immediately yanked out a notepad and pen.

"I see...thus instead. Can you tell us more about yourself."  Maxiliam said.

Tanya frowned from the question. She was going to get caught up in a web of questions if she were to speak of herself too much.

"I believe I've spoken everything down on the folder you have in your hand." She said with a monotone yet cold voice.

Maxiliam hummed, faking a cough as he dismissed Tanya out of the room.

Tanya closed the doors and quickly felt mentally frightful.

'What was that!??' she thought.

'Did I just turn down an important question from the superior!??" She chained her thoughts together as she walked stern and clear to her office.

"Good afternoon, captain." Visha said as soon as Tanya walked in.

Tanya nodded her off as she made her way towards her desk.

"Anything new?" Tanya asked after dipping the quilt in hand.

"Nothing came up, captain." Visha answered.

"Can you give these reports to the Warren for me, second luitenant?" Tanya said as she handed a small bundle of papers forward.

Visha nodded as she took the paper and left the office.

It was silent before a knock came.

"Who is it?" Tanya called out while scanning through the letters one by one.

"It's Mr. Adalbrecht!" The man from the other side yelled out.

Tanya raised a brow.

'Who in the world is Mr. Adalbrecht?' she thought before standing up to walk over to the door.

Opening it, he was met with a well-dressed man in their twenties.

"I apologize for being this late, I had urgent business with a family member from the north." Adalbrecht said.

Tanya hummed, trying to recall him from where he came from.

"I apologize as well, I might have forgotten where we met." Tanya said.

Adalbrecht meekly laughed.

"Thank goodness for that!" He smiled before faking a cough as he fixed his demeanor back up.

"I was one of the bibliographers that sent you a letter." He explained.

Tanya hummed as she made way for him to come in.

Adalbrecht nodded before shyly walking in. It wasn't that he was shy, he was actually in too much excitement and amazement that he has to control himself from doing anything weird.

"Oh, and I'm also the only one that was supposedly in charge of writing your history down." Adalbrecht said before sitting down on the chair Tanya offered.

Tanya hummed as she sat back down on her chair to face Adalbrecht.

"Well, first luitenant Erya actually recommended me." Adalbrecht stammered.

Tanya hummed while nodding.

"I see." She said.

Adalbrecht meekly laughed before opening his mouth to speak again.

"So...shall we start..?" He mumbled.

Tanya nodded.

Adalbrecht quickly took out a pen and journal, before asking Tanya again.

"Can we start with where you were taken in?" He asked.

"Ah! No, no, no!! That question isn't the right one! Sorry, I'm not used to questioning children especially ones with high IQ, they just pressure me..." Adalbrecht stammered.

Tanya nodded to their understanding.

"It's alright, take your time." She said.

She's quite merciful right now, how rationally surprising.

"Ok..." Adalbrecht took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down as he gave a firm grip on the pen.

"You may start with where you were raised first, and please be blunt just as much as you like to. You can trust me not to write anything you don't like in the journal if it's too much." Adalbrecht said.

Tanya nodded before starting.

...

"Tanya! Don't forget to hold it down!" Tania said as she laughed while holding the large and plump cat in both hands.

Tanya smiled while holding the other thin and flexible cat.

"Aww, aren't they adorable?" An elderly smiled as she watched the twins laugh and play.

Both cats didn't really want to be played around with but they had no choice. If they weren't going to be nice to the twins, they'd get fed less.

"Tanya, look! Mr. Plumpy is purring!" Tania squealed as she sat beside Tanya.

Tanya laughed as she gently rubbed the thin cat's head and neck.

"He's really fat." Tanya said while poking the fat cat's belly.

The plump cat hissed while purring which made the twins laugh.