Tragedy

Footsteps could be heard approaching the living room, the man running quickly. When he reached the entrance to the living room, he stopped in his tracks.

"What the fuck!"

Namjoon was the first to arrive to the living room, blood splattered across the floor. He noticed the table holding the four chests, Hyuna's body lying lifeless in front of it. Namjoon's first instinct was to try and help Hyuna rather than get to his chest.

"Hey? Hey!" He tried shaking her body, trying to see if there was any response. Her eyes were wide open but showed no sign of life. He put two of his fingers to her throat, not feeling any pulse. He wasn't sure if there was no pulse or if he was placing his fingers at the wrong place.

"If Jin was here, he'd be able to help more."

Namjoon kept his hands on Hyuna, as if trying to find a pulse would bring her back to life. It was then that he noticed something critical.

"A bullet wound? What the fuck happened here?"

Namjoon was becoming more confused the longer he stayed with Hyuna. He knew that the bullet wound in her chest most likely meant that she was long gone. He closed her eyelids and stood up.

"Why didn't I hear a gunshot? I'm not that far away from here. How?"

Namjoon kept thinking about this mystery, trying to fit pieces together. In this time, he completely forgot about the task to put his numbers into the lock on the chest. After a couple minutes of thinking about Hyuna's murder, he regained focus for the task at hand.

On the table in the middle of the living room were four small chests. In the front of each chest was a number: one through four. Namjoon was unsure which chest he was supposed to open. It was then that he noticed a piece of paper in Hyuna's hand.

He hesitantly reached for the piece of paper, unsure of what would happen if he tried to take it out of her grip. After pulling lightly on the note, it fell easily from Hyuna's hands, confirming with Namjoon that Hyuna was far past recovery. Before opening the note, Namjoon began to sweat. He couldn't remember the last time he was this scared for his life. He slowly opened the note.

The note was an off-white piece of paper with black ink for the words. The handwriting was scratchy and seemed to be messy on purpose.

Hello. I'm sorry you had to walk in on such a scene, but unfortunately, she knew too much. Can't have anyone learn who I am now, can we? Anyways, onto your task with the chests. Each chest has a number in front of it. This number represents the order at which you arrive to the table. So, whoever arrives first will place their numbers into the chest with the number one in front of it. Chests one through three have your car keys. Chest four has a special surprise. Good luck.

Namjoon's gut seemed to drop at the mention of chest four. All he hoped was that Jin didn't get to the room last. He decided to follow the instructions quickly, not sure when the next person would arrive.

He walked up to his chest, lightly resting Hyuna's body to the side. He wanted her to be as peaceful as she could, even though she had already died. He saw the number "1" in front of the chest. He was so nervous that he nearly forgot all of his numbers.

Calm down. You're first. Jin should be on his way. Now, what were your numbers?

It took a couple of seconds, but the numbers seemed to come back to him slowly but surely. As he was entering his numbers into the lock, he heard footsteps running behind him. Afraid it was the killer, Namjoon froze in his tracks. He slowly turned around as the footsteps slowed down.