Spot

Spot's POV

There's something up with that boy. I'se can feel it. Something about the way he looked, or it might've been the lack of smell. I just feel like somethin' not right. Last night he ran and took my cane. Luckily I got the bat and I know they be coming back for it some time. Buck starts running up to me and stops. He seems out of breath so I give em a minute.

"Hey Spot, Queens gotta message for ya."

"What it say, Buck?"

"Da 'hattan newsies be starting a strike against the price change. They be trying to get all the other boroughs to join."

"And are they in? The other boroughs?"

"They all waitin to hear what Spot Conlon says."

I think for a minute and Buck seems to grow impatient.

"I'll think about it. Give me a while. Now scram!"

Buck runs off to do whatever he usually does and I go back to watching the water. It's mid day and it feels nice outside with a slight cool breeze keeping me company on an otherwise broiling day.

-
Carly's POV

"So CJ, why don't I see ya around much?"

Jack makes conversation with me as we walk towards Brooklyn.

"I travel around the boroughs. Don't belong to anyone."

He gives me a weird, questioning look.

"So where do you sleep? What lodging house you at?"

I shake my head.

"No lodging house. Let's just say I live in an attic that the owners don't know about."

"So your a criminal?"

I shrug.

"Yeah, petty thief. Good at pickpocketing and stealing. That's how I make most my living."

I nods in understanding.

"So did you steal spots cane?"

"Not exactly... I ran into last night as I was leavin' the docks. Gave me a good hit to the face with the cane." I gesture to my purple jawbone, " Was gonna fight back but Snyder walked by. Had to run and accidentally grabbed his cane instead of my bat."

"So you's been to the refuge?"

"Yeah I've done my time there, but I'm more of a city person. Ya know?"

He smiles as we start walking along the Brooklyn bridge.

"I did my time too. Escaped on the governors carriage. Ya know Teddy Roosevelt?"

I slowly clap.

"Impressive... you know I pretended to be Snyder's carriage driver but we all got our ways."

He pats me on the back and stops.

"Hey watch this!"

Jack, Boots, and I lean over the rail of the Brooklyn bridge and scream. The sound echoes off the water making a cool affect.

"So is this Spot Conlon really dangerous?"

Davey seems legitimately concerned and we just laugh at em.

"Well he gave me this shina' yestaday so maybe."

I turn my face to him so he can see my large bruise. I shrug as he stares at me in shock. Has this guy never been hit before? We walk the rest of the way in silence since the docks be quite close to the bridge.